help buying james bond collection off Amazon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike_Craft, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

ok I searched amazon.ca for The james bond collection I want to buy. now it came up with this

James Bond 007: V1 Collection
    James Bond 007: V2 Collection
    James Bond 007: V3 Collection

which is what one would excpect. but it also came up with this

The James Bond Collection (Widescreen, Special Edition, 7 Discs)

Now... I want to buy vol.1 but what is the differenece from
    James Bond 007: V1 Collection and The James Bond Collection (Widescreen, Special Edition, 7 Discs)?

from the pages they look to be the same boxed sets except one is $20 more. also they have different ASIN numbers (whatever that is?)

Could any1 help me out here by explaining to me whats going on?

heres the 2 links

V1 collection:
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...469373-4661628

Bond Collection:
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...469373-4661628

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    There were two releases of the Bond sets, so I think that might explain the difference. The two sets were, aside from packaging, identical, and these look the same.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Also, be aware that several Bond films are getting re-released with digitally restored picture and sound. No official dates yet, but it looks like sometime in 2005. I know that ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE is among them.

Lowery Digital Imaging is responsible for the picture cleanup, and Mi Casa is doing the new 5.1 audio.

Check this.
    http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3434&n=1&burl=

4. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

Yes, there were two releases of the Bond series, each in three box sets. Each box's design featured either Connery, Moore or Brosnan on the art.

The first release was of the then 19 films. (Two boxes of six titles, one of seven.)

The second release was of 20 movies - including the then new Die Another Day. (Two boxes of seven titles, one of six.) This release and artwork is the one shown in your Amazon links.

Each run used the same single disc special editions of the movies - as only the last movie was a two disc release.

If you want all your box sets to match, and house all twenty titles, then go for the second release sets.

Sometimes you can find just the empty DVD set boxes on ebay if you already have started your collection. (That's how I finally completed mine.)

As far as the upcoming HD-DVD versions - they would have to look a whole lot better before I would think of upgrading or replacing my current discs. With anamorphic transfers and progressive scan players, the current discs look very good - especially the newer titles.

5. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I personally talked to John Lowry two months ago.

He says these new Bond DVDs look INCREDIBLE.

I don't know how many are being restored. I presumed
    nearly all of them would be. Lowry told me that
    DR. NO was in the worst shape of them all since it was
    a low-budget film, but by the time he got to THUNDERBALL
    he found the negatives to be in much better condition.

Personally, I would hold off buying any Bond titles
    for the first time until next year's re-releases.

7. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

I have the first issue Region 1 Releases that started coming out way back in October 1999 I think. I also had the chance to buy the Region 2 DVD Tin Collection for £30.00 of a mate. So I jumped at the chance. And as far the Lowry re-issues go you will tripping over me in the queue to buy them.

I also, have the original THX DVD's of Moonraker and The Spy Who Loved Me, the Silver Box Eidtion of TND SE and very rare Region 2 Jewel Case versions of TND and Goldeneye.

So, IMO wair for the Lowery issues! [​IMG]

8. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

9. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I think that's what Ron Epstein just answered above. I think he was referring to new DVD releases and not HD-DVD.

They're currently working on the next release which will include new 5.1 soundtracks for "Dr No" all the way through "The Man With The Golden Gun." The original mono tracks will still be on the DVD as well.

The films "Dr No" through "The World Is Not Enough" will have new digital film transfers. There will supposedly be new documentaries and interviews as well.

These new DVD releases were supposed to coincide with the release of Bond 21, but with that up in the air right now, we'll have to wait and see when the new box sets make it out. It will come before any HD-DVD release, I believe.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now rethinking the matter.....

It may be worth skipping these Lowry standard DVD
    issues knowing that the HD-DVD issues will be out
    within a few years afterwards.

I can wait if it means not buying this set for
    the umpteenth time.

11. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Or Blu Ray if Sony buys MGM. [​IMG]

12. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I know what you mean. I own too many copies of these films as it is. Unless the new extras are a compelling enough reason to buy and won't be included on future HD-DVD or BR releases, I'll probably end up skipping this next DVD release and wait for the next format. It would be nice if we could buy the first nine films separately when the remastered DVD versions are released, but I can't see MGM doing that.

13. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

hmm.. thanks for all the info. I was unaware of yet another release of Bond on DVD. I however already own vol 3 and vol 1 and 2 are still quite expensive. I can imagine how much these newer DVDs will cost. I think ill just buy the 2 special edition sets and complete my collection. Im not too big on 5.1 surround and remastered pictures for old bond movies from the 60s-80s. I do like The newer titles to have all that but I belive everything after Goldeneye SE has 5.1 DD and look superb in my opinion. That is good enough for me. After I buy these collections, I will just individually purchase the new bond movies when they are released.