What's new

Help! Buy new speakers or new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Robert.v

Auditioning
Hello everyone,
I have a Sony STR-DE875 receiver and Accoustic Reasearch speakers. I can only turn up the receiver to about 34 on the volume before I have to worry about blowing the speakers.I called Definitive Technology & M&K and they said that no matter what speaker's I baught they would all do the same because the receiver does not have true 100watts per channel combined. That when sony says it's 100w per channel it's accually about 30 or 40 watts, I need to get a receiver with true clean power with out a lot of disstortion to be able to get more sound out of my speakers. Is that true?
What do you think about Yamaha around $700 to $900?

Thank you,Rob

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in a nutshell: yes, they are telling you the truth.

tbh, most receivers aren't running at more then a few watts per channel. it's when you get those big explosions or hard-hitting bass - that's when you need those extra watts.

very very (and i mean very) few receivers can run (or deliver) at their rated output. if they can, they can't do it for very long or it will have massive amounts of distortion.

when you mention blowing your speakers, don't kid yourself. the only thing you'll do is fry the tweeter - and that's because you *underpowered* the speakers. if you truly overpower a speaker, you'll blow the woofer.

in a another nutshell, get yourself a receiver based on the features you like. try not to get caught up in the numbers game - it's really not a good gauge to use when buying gear.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
If what I found is correct that receiver is rated at 100 x 2 into 8 ohms @ .09 THD.
I realize most receivers overrate but that should handle most speakers without distorting. What exact speakers do you have and what is their rating and sensitivity?

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Sony's are way overrated power wise. In the Recievers forum there is a link in one of the recent posts to a receiver test that showed the Sony's on the list putting out 35watts vs. 100. The Yamaha's appeared to be closest to the mark, I think it was 83 real vs. 85 claimed.

That being said, I own a STR-DE675 with no problems powering my speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PEAK wattage is an easy thing to achieve for a brief period, so their rating of 100w is probably based on that, but NOT for a sustained period of time. You CANNOT go by the wattage rating, it is simply misleading. If you notice, nearly EVERY Sony model is rated at 100wpc. Why? Because most people won't buy one that isn't. Do you think that the 100wpc of the ES line is the same as the DE line? Nope. Go listen to a 4ES, then listen to a DE975, the difference will be very obvious.

I have owned Sony DE receivers in the past and I never will again. Average sound quality and below average power due to small power supplies and capacitors.

Robert.v

Auditioning
I have ARHC6 speakers, But also the room Is 23 feet by 15 feet and the seats are 18 feet from the front speakers.
I called AR and they said that they have a lot of calls about sony receivers not having enough power and to get a new receiver. Could someone please recomend a receiver around $700 to $900?

Thank you for all your help, Rob

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's a decent budget. any of the major players will work for you.

since it sounds like power is important to you, i would suggest denon and hk - they typically have pretty strong amp's.

also, do a search in the receivers forum. people are always making recommendations there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks