What's new

Help: Building out wall with component shelves but need access to back (1 Viewer)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping someone has some insight on this task at hand that I have.
We are almost done drywalling the new HT however we had built out the wall that the RPTV will sit in and on either site are shelving units that extrude from the wall. They are actually just framed in areas right now, there are no shelves or anything yet.
My dilemma is this, we were going to drywall all around these areas and then possibly put tongue and groove pine around them and stain it, however if I put in my shelving for my components I need access to the rear to be able to fish wires to each component etc... (Are you following? :) ) I am not sure how to go about this without leaving the entire side of the shlving unit wide open which I don't really want to do.
Any input or past experience informtation would be very helpful in this so I can complete my HT and get my new TV installed :).
Thanks a lot
Matt

RichardJS

Grip
I have been thinking about doing something similar, and have been thinking about ways to solve the same problem. Ideas I have come up with so far include:

- a rack that can be slid in flush with the wall and pulled out to run wires. I have seen some nice commercial solutions that do this (sorry no links), but these are well out of my price range so I have been considering the possibility of building something. This still requires more thought.

- build a small door or access panel into the wall to allow me to get in behind the TV and the rack.

- hide everything behind an access door, and use remote IR for control (still do not know how to do load and unload DVD's though).

I am still working on this, so I also would appreciate any other ideas.

Richard

RogerB

Second Unit
I built a shelving unit into my side wall (so the opening is flush with the wall). I put two sheets of stained plywood on the back that are just held in place with some small blocks of wood and nails. The back is accessible from an unfinished portion of the basement. I should probably put some hinges on but who has the time?! You can see some pictures of the shelves on my web site

Mark JM

Agent
I am also looking to do the same thing, and what I've decided to do (wife doesnt know it yet) is build mine into a wall that backs to a closet (she will not be happy about giving up the space) that way I can access the backs from inside the closet. (I have a drop ceiling to run all my cables from componants to screen/speakers) Im new to this, but nothing says your components have to be on the same wall as your monitor. The only thing that my be odd for me if i dont get a reflection off my screen for the remote I will be pointing the remote at a wall to my right and not straight ahead towards my monitor!

Roger, checked out your site, great job! I have almost the exact dementions as you do, am planning to do a set up similar to yours but with a couch in the front and 3 seats behind. How do you like your sony unit, and what is your distance from unit to screen?

Mark

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot for the responses guy's.
I think what I am going to be doing is makeing a nice side door out of pine that will give me access to the rear of all my components.
TV arrives today...WOOHOO :).
Thanks again
Matt

RogerB

Second Unit
Hey Mark, thanks. From the recliners to the screen is about 12' and from the couch to the screen is about 17'.

I have been extremely happy with the Sony projector. It's easy to use and produces a terrific picture right out of the box. I guess you can get a good buy on them these days.

Mark JM

Agent
Roger

Thanks for the info, one more thing, what is your distance from the Projector to the screen, and what size screen do you have? I have 8' ceilings, but unfortunately I have a 7" drop x 6' wide "box" on the ceiling boxing in some pipes I have to work around, and I have a max distance of about 10 /12 feet from projector to screen to work with.

Thanks

Mark

RogerB

Second Unit
Mark,
My screen is 100" diagonal. My ceiling is about 7'8". I used the Sony PJCalc utility to calculate the distance from projector to screen. The Sony lens has a small zoom range so you you don't have to get it exact. I think mine is about 12-13'.
If you don't have PJCalc you can find it here:
Link Removed
Roger

Mark JM

Agent
Roger, thanks for the link, ill give it a shot, Im trying to decide on the sony 10 and the sharp 2700, have seen the sony 11 and many i have talked to say the 10 is as good for abt $4000 less

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks