Help!! Building New Home W/ Theater Room (Merged)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ClarenceF, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ClarenceF

ClarenceF Auditioning

I am building a new home and am builing a custom enclosure for a projector (Probably Sharp XV-Z12000) to be inset into a wall. I am basically wanting a formal living/media room.

My home desinger was able to do this but he was restricted to the inset being 8' 2" high from the floor.

Does the center of the projector lense have to be at the upper edge of the screen? If so the screen is going to be much too high.

I am really hoping that I could lower the screen a foot or two and the projector could remain at 8' 2" from the floor. If am unable to lower the screen I'm screwed. My ceiling in that room is 12 feet and to not want a 5' pole hanging out of my ceiling.

I'm past the framing stage and the electricians need information yesterday where to put the outlets for the electric screen.

I am seriously considering scraping the whole project. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Clarence

2. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

There are several projectors that will do as you need. Here is a link with more info about the Sharp you mentioned:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Shar...XV-Z12000U.htm

It does have "Lens Shift" so I would think it would do what you need. However, on many units with a Lens Shift, the more you "shift" the worse the picture.

Considering the price of that projector, I would also take a look at the "recommended" projectors on this site as well. There are a lot of really great projectors available, that don't cost nearly as much.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Clarence, here's where you want to post this sort of query. The Home Theater Builder section is devoted to issues raised in the magazine and for dialoging with its staff.

4. Stephen Heidt

Stephen Heidt Auditioning

What size screen are you planning on? By your choice of the Z12000, I am assuming that you are intending to get a 16:9 format screen, right? If you are looking at a larger screen, like around 119" diagonal, then the screen would be roughly 58" high, which means, that without a border, the bottom of the screen would be about 40" off the ground. I think average seat height would be 48". Since they recommend eye level when seated be at about 1/3 the height of the screen or around 60" off the floor. That does leave you about a foot lower than the ideal height. Like Rutgar mentioned, you can look for a projector that handles Lens Shift with little distortion. You can also look into whether it is possible to put your seating up on a short riser to bring the seating up to a better height, since you can't do much about bringing the screen down to a better height. Also, you can try and tilt the projector downwards slightly so that you could bring the screen down a little bit, but that would lead to some amount of trapezoidal distortion.

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm by no means a "bulb" projector expert (CRT is for me)... but I have got to believe that there is enough keystone adjustment to correct for what sounds like a fairly minor setup abberation. Heck, a lot of guys here mount these things flat to the ceiling! And I know that their screens aren't right up to the ceiling. You can always give Sharp a call or drop them an email and ask, but I'm virtually certain that it will not be a problem.

And, hey, don't scrap the project over this [​IMG] Those of us who have endured construction of a home theater have been through much worse! [​IMG]

6. Paul His

Paul His Agent

Clarence,

There is no problem with mounting your PJ at 8'2" and having your screen lower. Any good PJ including this Sharp has a lens shift function that will allow vertical lens adjustment.

Placing the PJ around the top of screen height is a good rule of thumb, driven by the fact that the very best picture will be had by pointing the PJ as directly at the screen as possible (theoretically the best PJ location would be at mid-height of the screen). However, the differences in picture quality between staight on and angled, unless you're going to an extreme downward angle, (doesn't sound like you are here) are neglible.

Enjoy your new HT,

Paul

7. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sanyo Z2 which has lens shift and can say that it works beautifully with no degradation in picture quality. It isn't just 'advanced keystoning' so you'll be able to adjust your screen to suit your requirements although I'm not sure if the sharp will let you do this most 'good' digital PJ's should.

Some pointers though or possible pitfalls - make sure the cavity or location for the PJ is well ventilated as they put out alot of heat and make sure that your throw distance (distance between PJ and screen) is acceptable for the projector you are planning to purchase. All digital PJ's have zoom functions but it's nice ( like Paul said ) to be in the general ballpark.