What's new

Help building a center channel to match (1 Viewer)

Matt:Brunmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Heya,

I've got a pair of Selenium 15CO1Ps in the recommended boxes (giant coaxial speakers). I built them for college and I absolutely love them even though they're enormous so I'm not going to be replacing them any time soon. Thing is, I need a center channel to match them and I want to make sure everything grooves smoothly. The Coaxial Xover is at about 2000hz (I think).

I'd like to build it since I built the boxes for the CO1Ps (didn't have to do crossovers since they're coaxial) and I can make them match. For sentimental value I'd kind of like to use Selenium drivers for the center channel as well, but my options are kind of limited. PE sells a 6.5" woofer and a few tweeters, but it seems pretty hardcore for a simple HT center channel.

Basically, here's what I'm thinking - two of these:
Parts Express:Selenium 6W4P 6" Woofer

and one of these:
Parts Express:Selenium D210Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI
with this horn
Parts Express:Selenium HM17-25 1" Bi-Radial Horn 60x40 1-3/8"-18 TPI
and a Xover @ 2000hz.

am I on the right track? Anyone know of any slightly less hardcore selenium woofers/midranges that I could use instead? Is a horn for a center channel way out of the question? I know Klipsch does it but it makes me a little nervous. I just know it's what Selenium does well. They have a few tweeters and whatnot as well that I could look into. Is this a ridiculous idea? I can do a more standard approach with a couple 5.25" midranges and a dome tweeter as well if I skip the Selenium approach :-

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate to send people to another forum but you will get a much better response from the guys at HTGuide.com. They have decades of combined experience in speaker and crossover design. Because if you don't get the crossover correct, your speaker will sound like crap.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks