What's new

Help Build My Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

balzac

Agent
John, you're definitely correct! This is more fun anyway, although somewhat unnerving, since its a lot of money and a lot more than I originally wanted to spend.

Now, I'm going to take a ride tomorrow to BB/CC and test the speakers they have on display. They pretty much have the Infinity Primus 250 and 360, Polk Monitor 50 and 60 and RTi8, Klipsch Synergy F2 and F1 and finally the JBL E60.

Any opinions on what I should focus on while I'm there? I think they have a special on open box Klipsch F2's, which I can use that special coupon on.
images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US//en_US/images/electronics/features/electronics_open_box.gif

Oh yeah, they also have Bose bookshelf speakers. Are Bose overrated/overpriced like I believe or are they worth looking at as well?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Bose are very overrated and not worth the cash. Also, use CC/BB to check out brands but even with coupons the prices are too high. There are many on-line e-tailers who provide great service and are authorized dealers as well. I prefer to spend a 70/30 for speakers to receiver. Speakers will not become outdated and will last years. Focus on the speakers. If you put your money into the receiver and get one of the aforementioned satellite package deals, you will never truly get the value or performance out of the receiver.

Also on your budget i would stick with bookshelf size. with a sub you will achieve the low-end. I prefer decent bookshelf speakers on stands to budget floor standers. The E30's with the 12" Dayton sub will be a better value than the E60's. Don't bother with the E60's. if you want JBL floor standers, i would not consider anything less than the E90's. Otherwise get the E50's.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind the E30's with a sub and 6.1 will kick very well indeed. Sort of has my vote, that is why I posted it.

Qty6 E30's with Qty2 of the 12" subs, would be a very formitable system for your budget, I think you would be astonioshed how it would stand up to even extreme high end systems.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Well I responed to the other thread you have going.
It is interesting the moderators let you have two threads going.

balzac

Agent
One was geared more towards the receivers, which is settled, this is moreso for speakers.

Oh, where would the best (cheapest) place be to buy the JBL EC35 and E30's?

Do you think its worthwhile to up the front E30's to E90's and run only one sub? It adds $150 to the overall price, but subtracting the cost of speakerstands, the net difference is only $120, which isn't bad, considering my budget is already fubar.

E30 X 4 = $300
EC35 X1 = $150
Dayton 12" Sub - $150
= $600 + speaker stands $100 = $700

or

E90 X 2 = $420
E30 X2 = $150
EC35 X 1 = $150
Dayton 12" Sub = $150 = $820

Delete sub = $670

With the E90's, can I also postpone getting the Dayton sub, considering the size of the woofers in the speakers? I know its not ideal right away, but it'll save me some money to start, which I can later add the sub in.

Other option is to completely blow my budget and get the $1200 Aperion Intimus 5.1 system, which gets rave review. reviews.cnet.com/Aperion_Intimus_5_1_system_with_10_inch_subwoofer/4505-7868_7-20871403.html?tag=pop

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
Balzac I have a somewhat different idea for you :)

Have you thought possibly about taking your speaker budget and putting it toward the best stereo pair you can afford? In my opinion it is much easier to add pieces later as you can afford it, as opposed to buying a full lower end 5.1 or 7.1 setup then wanting something better.

For movies, a good stereo setup will be more enjoyable than lesser surround setups, and when you get a bit more money add a good center, then add good rears. In the long run you will be happier cause you didn't skimp on any one part, yet you still got enjoyment out of it before it's all "finished" (are we ever finished?).

As for the sub, this is where you can save a lot and get something WAAAY better! If you have some simple tools and a decent knowledge of woodwork, you can build your own sub. Doing this, you will either save money on an equally good sub, or spend the same amount and have something that will destroy the competion. I am a huge proponent of building your own sub if you can! TONS of info out there on how.

Hopefully I gave you a bit to think about:emoji_thumbsup:

balzac

Agent
Naaaa, you didn't give me much to think about, since its kinda been on my mind all along. The HK HTIB was a 5.1, which I was later going to add on the best front speakers I could afford, but it would have started me with good stuff that I could watch some movies on. So basically, you put me right back where I started!

What speakers would you suggest? I really liked the floor standing Aperion Intimus 633-T ($500) or their powered Intimus 533-PT floor standing speaker. But $1000 would not only break the bank, but annihilate it!

My whole goal in the back of my mind from the beginning, was to create a system like my father had, years ago. The one that the kids were told, "you toucha dis system, I breaka yo face." I want something that's borderline furniture! However, I'm no idiot, if the stepping up from the JBL's at $440/pair to something else at $800/pair isn't going to get me a significant increase in sound quality, then its just not worth it. Anyway, I've been searching this forum for various speakers and have been reading comparisons, but if you toss me a couple of suggestions on what you're thinking about, I'd appreciate it. There's always that OTHER speaker that I've never pondered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks