Help - Black ring/halo around golf ball ???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndyPJR, Apr 5, 2004.

1. AndyPJR

AndyPJR Auditioning

Watching golf yesterday on NBC HD. In most shots showing someone putting, or the ball on the green, the ball had a perfect black outline. I have a Hit 50v500 LCD RPTV; HD from the cable Co. (Adelphia in Ct via their Scientfic Atlanta cable box) Cable box set to 1080i.
    This is the first time watching golf in HD. I don't think it happens on the regular stations. However as I'm writing this I forgot to check the regular station to see if it was there also.
    Tried playing with contrast and it didn't help.
    What is this ?
    Any way to correct it ?
    Oh yeah, happened to the soccer ball while watching soccer also.

2. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I suspect that you were actually seeing an upconverted standard-definition picture. To my knowledge, that tournament on NBC was not being covered with HD cameras. Probably you were seeing some sort of edge-enhancement type ringing around the golf ball.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sounds like ringing from EE. Make sure your sharpness is set correctly, or turned down, this may also add to the ringing problem. Look for high-contrast transitions between bright and dark colors, especially horizontal and vertical edges, look up close, and look for ringing.

Here is an excellent page if you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The ring appeared to be there on standard analog (53" RPTV) also . Maybe they were using a variation on the hockey puck enhancement to make the ball more visible -- or they offshored video processing.

5. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

i agree with chris, about the sharpness being off...have you calibrated your TV with avia?

6. AndyPJR

AndyPJR Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys !!!!!
    I have not done any kind of calibration.
    Sorry, Newbie here !
    I was hoping it wasn't a characteristic of LCD RPTV technology. THX !!!!
    The avia is a calibration DVD correct ?
    Where do i get this ?

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Avia or digital video essentials are the main two discs to use, I do not have DVE, so I cannot comment, but Avia is complete for most advanced users, and has good beginner explanations. The key is to listen to the whole explanation and understand why things happen, as people tend to get confused and not understand that some of the things described ONLY happen on CRT devices, and then look for them in digital displays.

You can get each directly, I beleive, and they can be found most places, and tons of places online.