HELP! Bizarro Hdtv/Comcast problems- is it the box or something else?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darren Gross, May 18, 2004.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

Hi! I'd appreciate anybody's input on this.

I've got a Loewe Aconda 30' HDTV which only accepts HD and progressive signals through the VGA input.

I have a Key Digital Transcoder box (KD-CTCA3) which works perfectly, when attached to a Progressive DVD player and the TV.

The Comcast cable guy came out to upgrade my box to HDTV and there were problems. Namely, the entire HD picture had a hideous yellow tinge to it. Also, pillarboxed 4x3 material was extremely curved at all four corners.

He tried 2 boxes and different component cables to the transcoder box (also made sure he had them attached to the correct slots) and got the same results both time.

He also tried several different outputs- 480i, 480P, and 1080i (which is what my TV's capable of).

Any idea what this problem is?

He's coming back on Thursday, but after two boxes, I fear I'll get the same result, then get charged for a service call, and have them put the blame on my equipment.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any theories on what's going on or how to correct it?

Thanks!

2. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Stunt Coordinator

Well the one thing I can think of to tell you is that the DVI jack on the box of MY (east TN) comcast box is inactive... perhaps the box you are using is having some kind of conflict with the hookup you are using, it may not yet be supported by your carrier. Just some idle thoughts to check into...

3. Darren Gross

I'm using the component instead of the DVI and we're getting a signal, it's just distorted...

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Hi Darren,

I've used the KD-CTCA2 transcoder box on my 30" Aconda. I think yours is just a slimline version of my transcoder box. The transcoder just passes the signal (480p or 1080i) and allows a VGA connection to your set.

The Motorola set top box should be set at 1080i.

The connection is just component to transcoder. VGA cable from transcoder to Loewe. If under the Loewe setup menu your set accepts and displays a picture then the hookup is correct. One way to check the Loewe is to connect a progressive DVD player to the transcoder. Set the TV to accept the 480p signal and see if the picture is distorted in anyway. You may even try switching the red,blue and green cables. Perhaps the color markings on the transcoder box is wrong?

You may want to read the manual of the transcoder and see if the adjustment on the box can take care of any of the problems you are seeing. Mine has some screw adjustments on the side of the transcoder.

Have you used the VGA connection of the Loewe before?

5. Darren Gross

Hi Darrel.

Yes, I've used the box for my progressive output DVD player and it works fine with that...

We've tried all outputs on the cable box- 1080i, 480i and 480P with no change in results...

We've also tried switching around the component cable and adjusting the switches on the transcoder, but no change there...[​IMG]

6. Darrel McBane

I would be interested in seeing your Loewe's sub menu settings. I can only think at this point that it's you Loewe set. You might contact your Loewe dealer. Or e-mail Loewe (which hasn't gotten me too far on questions to them) and ask about your problem? I've used a Comcast box on my set with a transcoder box and the picture is just fine. It must be a geometry issue from the set.

7. Darren Gross

It's strange, though, because I have the dealer service guide and have made minor tweaks to correct for overscan, but no distortion shows in any other input!

The CTCA3 is just the newest model of the same transcoder..same inflated price, doesn't seem to have any other features. Size may be a bit smaller as you say...

Weird!

8. Darrel McBane

Have you ever had a 1080i signal to the Loewe before?

How long have you had the Loewe?

When you used a DVD hooked up to the Loewe via a VGA cable did you run Avia setup disk to check and calibrate the set. And see if anything weird showed up on the test patterns or color screens etc?

If the cable box is setup correct and the transcoder can send a 1080i signal and your using the right VGA cable. Then it has to be within the Loewe set.

Have you contacted your local Loewe dealer and asked about your situation?

9. Darren Gross

I've never tried a 1080i signal, though it was visible when they connected the cable, just with the color distortion.

I used video essentials to calibrate my progressive scan DVD player through the VGA without problems...

I've tried contacting my Loewe dealer before, but its Good guys and they no longer support Loewe. They gave me Sensory Science contact info (same as on the manual) which does no good as they don't seem to be around any more...

I've had the Loewe for about 3 years.

10. Darrel McBane

I also got mine from GGs. You might call around a ask another local Loewe dealer. Being that your in L.A. I'd think there should be a few. And maybe at least one that has the balls to help.

P.S. I purchased a extended warranty when I got my Loewe. If my set blows up in the next three years I'll hit them up for a brand new set. Since no one in my area can even pronounce Loewe. [​IMG]

Good luck to you.

11. Darren Gross

Howdy Darrel!

Finally got some answers...whew...

Turns out its not the TV at all, its actually the Key Digital
    Transcoder box...Apparently the new model KD CTCA3 is having some
    issues with newer cable boxes. The newer cable boxes have different
    sync signal or something that isn't being passed through correctly.
    Not sure if it occurs with the older model transcoder as well, but its
    a problem specifically linked to newer HD cable boxes.

If you contact Key Digital and tell them the problem, they will give
    you a return authorization number and then fix the transcoder so the
    problem doesn't occur, without charge.

That # is 888-258-2028.

Hope it helps the next guy...

12. Darrel McBane

Great to hear that Darren.

I hope your new box solves any and all issues you have had.