Help: Better Buy- Sony Wega 27" FV17 vs 32" FV27 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesRandall, Aug 15, 2001.

1. JamesRandall

JamesRandall Auditioning

I am just starting to put together a home entertainment center and don't know very much, but wanted to start with a television. I decided to go with a flat-screen Sony Wega (which seems to be the most highly-regarded flat-screen to most I've spoken with, please let me know if this is wrong). My problem, however is deciding between the Sony KV-27FV17 for $750.00 or the KV-32FV27 for $1200.00. That's a good $450.00 difference, and, although I am inclined to get the bigger TV, I can't help but think I'm getting more TV for the money with the 27". The money I save could go to other components, but I want my TV to be the centerpiece.
    Could anyone (everyone) give me their opinions on which is a better buy, the primary feature differences between the two (if there are any besides the size), and personal experience with either? I really appreciate it, as I'm going to make the purchase within the next week or so. Thanks!
    james

2. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

If you're going to be using your wega in a home theater environment, go with the fs-12 or fs-16. You won't be using the speakers on your wega, and you won't need the better comb filter either, as it's bypassed by component inputs.
    I picked up a 36 fs 16 at k's merchandise for 1299. Best money I ever spent. The picture is crystal clear with dvd's, and my home theater receiver handles all sound.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was talking to a salesperson when I bought my KV32FV26 ($1200 shipped, and couldn't be happier), and he mentioned that the picture will be clearer due to the smaller screen size. The pixelation is tighter, and gives a more acurate image. At first, I thought he was FOS, but he had the two sitting there together running off the same source, and the 27 did look more clear. Though neither compared to the XBR450s...
    I also noticed that my Panasonic Tau 27" in the bedroom also has a much more clear picture than my WEGA. The Tau lacks many of the features that the WEGA has, but is a very decent set.
    IMO, with the WEGAs, don't bother with the -12 or -13. I'd say go with the -27 and be done with it. I say -27 because, though for DVD you would want to use component, other sources, like broadcast will still use the 3d filter. The speakers on the -26 are more than enough, and the -27 has 15W more power.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 15, 2001 at 01:37 PM]

4. William T

William T Auditioning

I was looking at the 32 or 36 FV27. They have everything I could ask for except for 480p component inputs. From what I gather, this means I can't get any benefit from my Progressive Scan DVD player. I think the cheapest Sony TV with component 480p inputs is the 32 or 36 HS20 flat-tube line.
    [Edited last by William T on August 15, 2001 at 10:54 PM]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, for progresive, you will need one of the HS, XBRs or an RP model.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 15, 2001 at 02:39 PM]