What's new

Help best way to move a Sony 32" WEGA TV (1 Viewer)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I'm moving to a new apartment in a few weeks, and of course, will need to move my HT gear. The biggest and most worrisome item is the T.V.

I have a 32" Sony WEGA TV, and it's pretty heavy - over 100 lbs (I think). The problem is, the apartment I'm in is on the third floor, and there are no elevators, just stairs. What's the best way to get the TV downstairs? Would a dolly be helpful? It's going to be me, my fiance and my brother who's going to do the moving.

Also, should I put something over the screen to protect it? What's the most effective and easiest way to do this?

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I 32" TV? You should EASILY be able to move it with your brother. I can move one of them by myself if need be. In my opinion a dolly would not help.

:::YOU LIFT LEFT SIDE; BROTHER TAKE RIGHT SIDE:::

Adam

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason the sony vega's seem to be much heavier than
standard tv's of the same size. I helped my father-in-law put one in it that mother is heavy, I would suggest a dolly if you are going up or down stairs or use 3 people.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Adam, if you can lift a Sony WEGA by yourself, then remind me to avoid you in a dark alley. You're talking a 160lb+ TV there. I delivered TVs for a good while and a WEGA is definitely a two-person job. With 2 people, though, it should be fairly easy to move, even down a flight of steps or two. Lift with your legs, not with your back, and wear gloves. The bottom of those things can really cut into your fingers and palms.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The 32-inch WEGAs hover in the 180-190 lb. range. They are so heavy because it takes a lot more glass to produce a flat-screen tube that won't collapse in on itself or render a badly distorted image.

Should you put something protective around the screen? Of course! They scratch easily.

Use a dolly? Only if the TV is in its original shipping carton (with all the packing materials intact). You don't want to scratch or abrade the cosmetics.

Two people should have no problem transporting the thing. But be very careful.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'm a bit sensitive on this subject since another guy and I just carried a 27" TV up a single flight of stairs and it was a nightmare in close quarters.

I'd rent a dolly...a good appliance dolly with a wide lip...and put a folded moving pad under the TV and drape another one over the screen. I'd load the TV onto the dolly with the screen (padded) on the handle side since that's where most of the weight is. Then I'd strap it in place and go down the stairs at a measured pace, pausing to rest whenever necessary.

Good luck!

Jan

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
map out your route.
make sure you can get it around corners, or move stuff out of the way
A 3rd person watching out for you or who can grab it if someone loses a grip is important
plan for the worse ....its worth the effort

Users who are viewing this thread