What's new

help=best way to hook up cable to AV receiver? (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I would like to watch TV (Digital Cable) in suround sound using an AV receiver- what would be the best way to do this, such as what inputs would I use on the AV receiver and cable box- any help appreciated
Tim

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
In general:

- Send the video straight to the television. SVideo if it offers it.

- Send the L/R audio to TV/DBS inputs on the receiver with ordinary L/R audio RCA cables.

Largely it depends on what outputs the cable box has.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Does your cable box offer a digital output? If so that would be the best option if you want to take advantage of 5.1. If you're not sure check with your cable company or the box manufacturer's website.
Keep in mind that the majority of programining is not offered in 5.1 or Dolby Digital usually it is just stereo.

Tim L

Second Unit
I am using a motorola (comcast) digital cable box with only basic video inputs. I know I won't be able to get 5.1 sound but I figure I would try watching using pro logic II or IIX whatever is best.
Tim

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Does the cable box have L/R audio outputs? Pro Logic comes from a stereo, L/R source.

You should note that hooking up your HT receiver to your CATV box gives mixed results. On the one hand, it can improve movie experiences from channels like HBO and some cable channels. But like looking at a newspaper under a magnifying glass, other channels will sound crappy since your HT equipment will let you hear noise, pops/clicks from poor-quality channels.

While I have some nice Sat and HDTV cable box's, most of my television watching is done through my TV speakers.

Tim L

Second Unit
Yes the cable box has L/R inputs- I will be using a receiver to process the pro-logic formats. Chances are I will only be using basic speaekr set-up (small ones) nothing fancy just enough I guess-for the reason you mentioned- maybe catching a movie on HBO or something- regular channels I most likely wouldn't bother. SO basically I can leave everyting else hooked up as is- but just send the audio from the Tv to the receiver? thanks again
Tim

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Uhhhh No. Take the L/R audio from the cable box to the receiver.

You CAN feed the receiver from your television if you have L/R outputs but there are "issues" with volume control and having to turn down the TV speakers in favor of the receiver speakers,...

Tim L

Second Unit
I will give it a shot, thanks for the tips everyone-much appreciated- If I left anything out please let me know,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks