Help be revive my old Advents

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Ross, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

okay i want to repair my parents old advents, they got them used over 15 years ago, i belive they are the model 6, both the tweaters and the woofers are shot, i looked at the crossover, and with my crude knowledge, i belive it to be a 6 db and octave, not to certain, what i would like to do is compleatly gut them, put in new woofers, tweeters, XO, (if you guys think its worth it) and new binding posts. the only restriction is my costs, i am only willing to spend 150 max

i took the internal demensions and they are about 1.6 cu ft. and the wired thing is the cut outs are 10 1/2 inches across, so thats inbetween any 12 or 10 in woofers that i have seen. i am willing to bet that i can bore holes out another 1/4 inch on each side to make a 12 inch driver fit

here are some woofers that caught my eye, for their high spl, decent vc size and magnet weights. and oh yeah there pretty cheap,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=290-382

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=290-142

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=290-125

so what are you guys thinking

btw hers a pic that i found on the web that is very close to the ones that we have

[​IMG]

2. Thomas_J

Thomas_J Auditioning

I don't have any advice for you, but those look like the original Advent (aka Large Advent) to me. I bought a pair new in the early '70s for $110 each-they were awesome.

3. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Those look like the 2nd generation of the original advents. I refurbished a pair last year, and they were awesome- I ended up selling them on e-bay because the wife thought they were ugly.
    Those speakers have collector value; I would not replace the drivers with modern drivers. The woofers can be re-foamed, check out www.newfoam.com . If the tweeters are fried I would try to find a replacement set on ebay. You can also replace the electrolytic caps in the xover with poly films. If properly fixed you will end up with a seriously nice sounding pair of speakers.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I have a pair of the Large Advents that I bought new. I found a guy who has some original drivers, as I recall, and I think he quoted a price of $75/pair. Anyway, the point is that they are collectors items and you should restore them. The challenge is the woofers were an oddball diameter - smaller than usual 12", larger than 10".

5. Allen Ross

um when i said that the drivers are shot, i ment that the suround is compleatly no existant, and the spider is on its way out the door. i think i can use the tweeters still but, the woofers are no.

as for restoring them, i am a college kid and i don't really have the time, or effort to fix them to original advents, i just want to buy some hard ware shove it in the box and use them.

so how do those drivers look?

6. Aaron_Smith

The woofers that I repaired were in worse shape than yours, and I was able to fix them just fine.
    It will be hard to arbitrarily pick drivers that will fit that box because of the unusual size and shape of the originals. But if you are absolutely determined to put in new drivers, go to Layne audio http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/Advent.htm
    for replacements; they know their stuff. And send me the old drivers... [​IMG]

7. Allen Ross

okay looking at that site it looks like it will be 80 bucks to replace one driver wheres i would like to replace 2 drivers for that price.

thanks for the link though. if you pay for shipping i will send them to you

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I think your missing the point the guys are trying to make. I understand completly your dollar postion but think about it for a minute.

The speakers are seriously looked for by many die hard Advent collecters. If you can't afford, or do not have the time to repair them to their original state, have you considered auction them off. The money you possibly could get for the Advents could be put with the 80.00 or so you were looking to put into them in the first place. Then you could buy yourself a newer set of speakers to your liking.
    You might also consider adding a trade in your auction for a set of working speaks.

Just another route to think about. Those are very very nice speakers, even though their current condition leaves much to be desired.
    I would think this out a bit before making a quick decision you may regret later....

Regards
    Geoff

9. Allen Ross

never mind

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

those are the exact same ones we have, i didn't know they would be worth that much. so yeah i am going to condiser that reconeing, or buying new drivers. sorry for bing a dick a few post back, i only thought that they would be worth about 150 in mint condition.

10. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

As i was reading through this thread..I was thinking...man, this guy sounds like a dick...at least you are copping to it*LOL*.

11. Allen Ross

does anyone know how hard it would be to resourround the advent drivers? I am guessing not too hard

12. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

In my experience it is something best left to the pros. You must have the coil centered properly and that is not as easy as it looks.

13. Aaron_Smith

I have done it and it is not hard. The link I gave above, www.newfoam.com, sells a complete re-foaming kit for the large advent woofers for around $30. It comes with everything you need including glue, shims to keep the voice coil centered and a new dust cap; it even comes with an instructional video. On top of that they were a pleasure to work with and very good with tech assistance. In my opinion this will give very good results, even for someone without speaker repair experience.

14. Allen Ross

is that 30 for a pair or 30 for a driver?