HELP: Basic Question on HDEF Plasma setup...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by tonyGar, Oct 4, 2006.

1. tonyGar

tonyGar Agent

I just got a Panasonic TH-42PH9UK.... Not very friendly since its from their professional line. I have a High Def Cable box....

I presume I want to order the HDMI Slot for the Panasonic. The High Def Cable Box has an HDMI connection in the back. So I should have the HDMI go from the Cable Box to the Panasonic, right?

But what about sound??? I didn't order the speakers because I wanted to run from Shelf Speakers...... so how does the sound come out? Do I have to run the sound from the cable box to my A/V receiver or what?

I am confused and I know this is very basic.

Tony

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If you want to listen to audio from Cable TV, then yes, I'd say that you should run audio connections from your cable box. In principle, the cable box could send the audio to the video monitor via HDMI, and then the monitor could send out the audio to your audio system via a separate cable, but that's just one more complication and has no advantage.

3. tonyGar

tonyGar Agent

Thanks for the help... so how do most people do it?

HDMI from HDEF Cable Box to TV (For the video)

And then what is the best way to handle the audio if I was to run it through an A/V receiver?

Just wondering...

4. tonyGar

tonyGar Agent

Should I get a Denon AVR - 2807 which has HDMI inputs and outputs....

Then run the HDEF Cable box HDMI INTO the DENON AVR and then HDMI into the Panasonic Plasma TV?

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

You could do that, but it's simpler just to run an optical or coaxial digital cable from the CATV box to your receiver, assuming the box has a digital audio output. If you're going to buy an HDMI-capable receiver, you'll be better off to wait for those featuring HDMI 1.3 decoding of new audio formats. That's not relevant to your current needs, of course, since digital CATV only uses standard Dolby Digital audio, but it will make things easier if you want to use HD discs in the future.