Help, bad PQ on HDTV Mitsu w Dish SDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_E_Smith, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

My wifes cousin who holds the Chrismas party for her family had to replace his 50" Mitsubishi SDTV (it broke) with a 60" Mitsubishi HDTV. Now the picture quality is HORRIBLE, it looks like a TiVo PVR in the lowest quality setting, lots of digital artifacts and sawtooth lines. I have tried tweaking the setting and did get it a little better, but this has some serious artifacts. He has an old (5 years)entry level Dish network receiver. He claims and I would agree that his old SDTV was WAY better. Will going to a newer Dish receiver like the 6000 improve the SDTV PQ? He mainly watches SD and does not receive HD signals. My experince is with my Sony 53" SDTV and DirecTV, mine looks fine. But his is unwatchable esp football games. It is a 4:3 HD ready Mitsubishi 60" RPTV. I dont know the model, but he bought it at a mass marketer call Conn's in Houston Texas and I doubt it is the top of the line, but not the bottom. Does this set have a line doubler? Any advice for him? [​IMG]

2. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

This happened to me when I got my HD widescreen a few years ago. DISH was nearly unwatchable until I turned down the sharpness to near zero. The higher the sharpness the more pixelization I saw.

However, your friend should not be fooled, the bigger and better the TV the worse DISH/DirectTV/cable are going to look. Garbage in = garbage out. The satellite receiver itself has little to do with the picture.

The true beauty of the TV your friend has is for progressive scan DVD or obviously HD itself.

Andy

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

4. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

How do DVD's look?

If they look good then you know it's not the tv.

-Dave

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

It is not a true statement that the sat box has little to do with picture quality. There are variations of quality among sat boxes just as with anything else, and the type of connection used can make a big difference as well. A giveaway $50 sat box connected with coax cable won't look as good as a higher-end, $200ish box using s-video or component video cables. At the very least, make sure he's using a good s-video cable to connect to the TV.

6. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor