What's new

Help! Bad Pixelization Problems on LG OLED (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Need some expert advice here. In the summer I bought a 65" LG Curved OLED. Over time I noticed Pixelization issues. I thought maybe some of it had to do with lousy source material over an interlaced cable box signal. I didn't see much issue with BDs or UHD until a day or two ago when I watched TESB on it an and some obviously problems cropped up in the Luke vs Vader in the Carbonite facility sequence. I'm posting some screenshots, hopefully they will illustrate what I'm seeing

image_zpsvtwcfidk.jpeg

Look at the right edge around the column of smoke and the lower left corner of the screen

A couple of others

image_zpst3tgrj0p.jpeg

image_zpsrvsvr3hd.jpeg

This cannot be, right?

I'm playing back the BD on an Oppo UHD player and running through a Denon AVR-S930H.

Paid alot of money for all this equipment. Are there settings of some kind or anything else I am missing?

Tagging @Colin Jacobson because I think he recently got a similar model

Last edited:

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Hi Will. I have a LG OLED newer model. Do you only see this consistently on all input sources? I don't know if your model came with Amazon or Netflix streaming, but if so, do you see it on those internal sources? This type of image would normally be associated with bad compression artifacts, but that wouldn't be the case sourcing from an Oppo player.

Just to troubleshoot, have you tried exchanging HDMI cables to eliminate a bad HDMI cable? I've had display issues like the before on projectors with a bad HDMI cable.

I'm assuming you bought the LG this summer? If so, it should still be under warranty as they have a 1yr. warranty.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I have the exact same set as you and have never seen anything like this. I hope Kevin’s response regarding a bad cable is all it is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Need some expert advice here. In the summer I bought a 65" LG Curved OLED. Over time I noticed Pixelization issues. I thought maybe some of it had to do with lousy source material over an interlaced cable box signal. I didn't see much issue with BDs or UHD until a day or two ago when I watched TESB on it an and some obviously problems cropped up in the Luke vs Vader in the Carbonite facility sequence. I'm posting some screenshots, hopefully they will illustrate what I'm seeing

image_zpsvtwcfidk.jpeg

Look at the right edge around the column of smoke and the lower left corner of the screen

A couple of others

image_zpst3tgrj0p.jpeg

image_zpsrvsvr3hd.jpeg

This cannot be, right?

I'm playing back the BD on an Oppo UHD player and running through a Denon AVR-S930H.

Paid alot of money for all this equipment. Are there settings of some kind or anything else I am missing?

Tagging @Colin Jacobson because I think he recently got a similar model

Sorry I didn't comment - I didn't get a notification of the "tag"!

I've had zero problems with my LG OLED - I'll pop in my "ESB" BD tomorrow to look at this scene and compare, though!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hi Will. I have a LG OLED newer model. Do you only see this consistently on all input sources? I don't know if your model came with Amazon or Netflix streaming, but if so, do you see it on those internal sources? This type of image would normally be associated with bad compression artifacts, but that wouldn't be the case sourcing from an Oppo player.

Just to troubleshoot, have you tried exchanging HDMI cables to eliminate a bad HDMI cable? I've had display issues like the before on projectors with a bad HDMI cable.

I'm assuming you bought the LG this summer? If so, it should still be under warranty as they have a 1yr. warranty.

I have the exact same set as you and have never seen anything like this. I hope Kevin’s response regarding a bad cable is all it is.

Sorry I didn't comment - I didn't get a notification of the "tag"!

I've had zero problems with my LG OLED - I'll pop in my "ESB" BD tomorrow to look at this scene and compare, though!

Thanks everyone. I hadn't checked this thread in a while.

Looks like the case was that I possibly got some bum settings. I followed a YouTube video. I eventually tried switching to one of the other HDMI inputs on the LG and things looked a lot better. I was then able to recreate the issue using the same settings via the YouTube video. I may have another thing or two to check though.

Anyone know some good calibration settings. I have the DVE calibration blu-ray but is that optimal for a 4K HDR OLED? But besides that, frankly I found that disc to be somewhat confusing to use. It always seemed like certain tests contradicted other tests. And I never could seem to get 100% success with those color filter tests.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
BTW this is what it looked like with the default setting on the other HDMI input. Much better.

image_zpsrjcvsl0t.jpeg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I too have an LG OLED and the only time i see any pixelation is with poor source material.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone. I hadn't checked this thread in a while.

Looks like the case was that I possibly got some bum settings. I followed a YouTube video. I eventually tried switching to one of the other HDMI inputs on the LG and things looked a lot better. I was then able to recreate the issue using the same settings via the YouTube video. I may have another thing or two to check though.

Anyone know some good calibration settings. I have the DVE calibration blu-ray but is that optimal for a 4K HDR OLED? But besides that, frankly I found that disc to be somewhat confusing to use. It always seemed like certain tests contradicted other tests. And I never could seem to get 100% success with those color filter tests.

I can take a photo of my settings and send if you'd like!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks