What's new

Help? Babe in the Woods, will-won't I crash? (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Long story short I am mucking around deleting files in my computer when I Know better.

I know I know, but I'm going for broke since my next step is rewrite the OS which I trying to avoid if I can sort it on my own.
98 OS, -trying to get it cleaned up and stable again.

While I am potentionaly destroying it. Among hundreds of other things :) - I am removing 2 spyware.
webHancer and new.net. I think my Winsock 2 is already blown but before I attempt to repair it, I would like to get rid of all files connected to the above. AND if its possible set my registry to ping ? them back if they ever try to load again.

(Never been in my registry)
and wondering how to check the registry line by line to remove any registry changes these type programs/appl have made.
There are 2 files connected with the spyware I am not allowed to delete as "windows is using it"???

WEBHDLL
WHAGENT

any help?

Also what are? - under 'Type' Files in my find files
Type: Diablo Hack Data
these are all over the place. When I try to determine 'what' these are by opening I get an error. Program not found Windows cannot find Diablo.exe prog. needed for opening type "Diable Hack Data File"

If these are connected to an old game my son downloaded way back, I don't understand why I'm seeing files of this 'type' on a daily basis, yet am unable to open or determine what exactly they are?

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Download the free version of Ad-aware 6 at Lavasoft.com. It will be able to remove those pesky spyware files that Windows is using, and this includes registry changes. Remember to update it with the built-in updater before you let it scan your system. Whatever it finds, and it may find alot, is not needed for Windows to operate, so don't be afeared to let Ad-aware remove it. Besides, it makes a backup of whatever is removed should you ever want to restore something. Some programs though, need their spyware to function, like Kazaa. These kinds of programs integrate well with my recycle bin.:laugh: Ad-aware will prompt you to let it run after a reboot so it can remove the remaining files that were being used by Windows - it will run before anything else loads.

Unless your son is still running/playing Diablo on that machine, you should be able to safely delete those Diablo files.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
To late. Right now my "broke" position is following.

Husband trys to install wireless router to get my LT networked to DT. Does not go well so he removes router.

Somehow he broke the web connectivity while doing this. I spent one evening trying to get it back then called SWB the DSL provider, he walked me through (mostly what I tried) no luck. The modem is working fine and the PPop(?) connection, -in fact I switched the line to this LT. So I know their end is good. The prob on the DT appears to be at the browser when "page is not available" appears at launch. At that point I tried an internal System Tool, fix any Explorer problems which found one problem and 'fixed' it. Since then I occasionaly get a kickout trying to launch Internet Explorer icon, - invalid fault - kicking me back into my desktop.

In the meantime I got bored and started deleting literaly hundreds of files off my DT trying to reduce bloat and have prob deleted a few things I should not. Since it was 'broke' already I deleted all files I could find for the 2 spyware prog. (manually) Since I had seen on the web that this can corrupt your Socket2, I (while busy trying to clean up) have attempted to unzip Max L download for the WinZipFix. It will not install, - telling me I am missing MSVBM60.DLL

Thinking DLL's are stored on my OS 98 I intended to rewrite part of the OS to the DT to replace any missing files I inadvertly deleted I need.

Edit: fixed the drive read problem.
Now trying to sort out why I have an Registry Editor dialogue box popping up on boot (although system is stable) stating "cannot import sys.reg.Error opening file"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.