Help: B&W 805 vs. CDM 9NT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bob Snelgrove, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Bob Snelgrove

Bob Snelgrove Auditioning

Hi Guys,

I have a chance to buy either in used mint condition for the same price. I have heard both but not side by side. The 9nt's on paper look like the clear winner, but a very experienced audiophile told me the 805's were clearly in a different (better) leauge. I have to decide pretty quick, so help [​IMG]

thx

bob

2. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

Due yourself a huge favor and buy the 805's. They are awesome.

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Got a good sub? Go 805's, no brainer. If no sub, then buy a good sub and go 805's. The 9NTs are nice and have pretty good low end if you don't have or can't afford a good sub.

Bob

4. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

And what would be considered a "good" sub for the 805?

5. JoeyTadeja

JoeyTadeja Agent

The Rel Q or Rel ST series of subs would work best. Of course you can always get the ones that B&W sells. However if you are on a budget you can get the Sunfire Super Jr. on Ebay for less than $700, however, they are not as musical. Rel sells the Q108E model for $750.

www.rel.net

6. Bob Snelgrove

Thanks, guys

I'm just curious how the 2 way, non FST-Midrange equipped 805 could outperform the 9NT, not even worrying about the bottom end performance? I had thought the FST from the higher end Nautilus speakers clearly gave the 9's the edge. I'm assuming they share the same tweeter, also?

Not arguing, just looking for answers [​IMG]

thx

bob

7. WilliamJulien

Bob,
    I listened to the 703's, HTM7, HTM1, 804's, and 705's. I was going to buy 2 703's, HTM7, and 2 705's. I did not like the sound (as much) of the 705's and HTM7. The midrange sounded muddier to me, which I attribute to the lack of FST. The midrange is by far the most important element to a speaker system and the is NO substitute for the FST to me. I ended up with 4 804's and a HTM1. Of course I can not comment on the 9NT.

8. Bob Snelgrove

Thanks, Guys

It seems the 9NT's are *very* close to the 804's and that's why I thought they should outperform the 805's!

thx

bob

9. Gary D. Gray

Gary D. Gray Auditioning

I am in a similar situation (ie, 805 vs. CDM 9NT) and found this thread in a search, so I thought I'd revive it.

Wouldn't the CDM 9NT be more closely related to the 703 than it is to the 804? My impression is that the CDM 7NT is similar to the 704 and the 800 line is better than them all.

I will be using the speakers for primarily home theater purposes (about 90%), and am leaning toward purchasing the 805's with stands.