Help: Audio dropout via digital coax on my XR50.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edward_M, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Here is my setup:

Panny XR50
    LG LST-3510A
    HSU VT-12 Speakers
    Scientific Explorer 3100HD Cable Box

I am experiencing audio dropouts on my receiver. While watching U-571 earlier, it happened more than a dozen times. It even happened while I was still on the disc menu. I can see the speake and Dolby indicators going in and out of the XR50 LCD display. At first I though it was just the DVD coax input of the receiver so I switched the coax cable to the CD coax input. I still experienced the dropouts. I then thought that it's probably my DVD player. But when I plugged in my HD Cable Box to the receiver and watched some HD channels, I again encountered the dropouts. I don't have an optical cable to test but will probably need to get one for testing purposed.

I just want to know if anyone has ever encountered these audio dropouts on their XR50. Maybe I will try analog inputs. On my receiver, I have setup the front satellites as small and the center as large. Do you guys have any other idea on how to fix this or maybe isolate the problem? Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am using a GE prograde coaxial cable.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What happens with other DVDs that you have?

3. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

It happens with any other DVDs I got even with LOTR. One thing I noticed is it also happens whenever I turn on the lights. As in once you switch it on it drops. That's one consistent thing I found. Could it be that the coax cable I am using is not megnetically shielded or something. It's made by GE and it's supposed to be pro-grade quality. I will try to get an optical cable and another coax cable. Is this something that is expected to happen even if I use optical cable?

4. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Ok now I tried playing LOTR again using both Dolby and DTS and I never encountered any dropouts. I swear it was rampant yesterday when I was testing it. Today, it's so far just running cleanly. Anyone got a clue as to why this is?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well it has nothing to do with magnetic shielding but from what I read on a different thread by you, it may have to do with needing better shielding. To rule out the receiver as a possible suspect, run the DVD straight to the TV using the existing cable and for that matter also go from your cable box to the TV directly. If you still have the same problems, then you either have a defective cable or one that would benefit from better shielding. If that's the case, consider either going to toslink or going with a Belden 1694A or equivalent. Blue Jeans is a good place to pick that up.
    Susceptibility to things like lights (fluorescents or halogens can be a bear due to ballast issues or switching resulting in EMI), a microwave oven, and dimmers, while not the rule, are not unknown. Sometimes it's a matter of just getting a quieter dimmer or replacing the ballast. Sometimes it's a matter of getting your HT on a different circuit breaker and other times one needs to reroute or go with a better shielded cable or toslink. The idea is to positively identify which part of your system is the culprit so you don't go replacing things that aren't broken.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Oops, just saw your other post. Well if you can't induce it with the lights, then maybe you just had a bad connection or maybe, just maybe, there's actually a problem with the cable in the connector.

7. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Maybe I'll try to let it belt out for a new DVDs to see. Maybe it just needs some burn in or whatever.