What's new

Help!! Audio but no video (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When you route through the receiver the TV stays on the Video input all the time. So when choose a source, you get both audio and video with a single button on the remote. No need for separate video switching, and no need to remember which TV input you used for which component. (Of course, if you have a remote that runs macros, this ceases to become an issue.)

When you go to receiver first, you have to use twice the cables. One going in and one coming out.
Not so. You only need one extra video cable - between the receiver and TV. Beyond that, there’s no difference in the amount of cabling, only where it’s routed. You don’t need any “extra” cables “coming out” of the receiver unless a particular component is a recording device. In that case you would have needed those cables no matter how you route your video.

Edit:
Or are the latest-and-greatest receivers passing straight through whatever video signal – composite, S, or component - a source sends it? In that case I’d certainly agree with you, Ed. And beg forgiveness for being behind the times! :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I was talking about switching from sat to vcr........
Since vcr isn't S-video, he needs to use video 2 input on tv, when he wants to watch a tape.
Twice the cables referred to one in from sat to receiver, then one out to tv. If he goes straight to tv, he's knocked out the other cable.
But since he's got a dvd now, it'll be one in to receiver from each (sat & dvd, totalling 2) and one out to tv. I meant double from the ONE output he had. Not double ALL outputs.
I still say he'll be happier with video from vcr going to video 2 on tv.........and L/R audio going to vcr input on receiver. VCR probably won't be used a lot, so mostly be switching between sat and dvd, on receiver remote.
Sorry if I'm not clear enough to make you understand. :)

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
All A/V Receivers have mutlple A/V in connectors. More than likely there is 3 Video in's and one TV/DBS in on the receiver.

All he has to do is put a cable between monitor out on the Receiver and the first video connection. Then he can switch between the SAT, VCR, etc.

You don't have to use any extra cables unless you record through the receiver as someone has already said. You can record directly though maybe a little less quality by using the coax cables.

Gary does your receiver have a separate connection for TV/DBS? If it does use that instead of video 3.

Jason

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Most A/V receivers still do not cross feed the composite inputs to the S-video monitor output or S-video input to component outputs or vice versa. So if you use any of the S-video inputs, you need an S-video cable from the receiver to the TV. If you use any component video input clusters, you need a component video cable set going to the TV, etc.

For those receivers that do cross feed, you have to be aware of possible picture quality issues. A/V receivers don't have digital comb filters let alone 3D comb filters unless their advertising says so. Without a good comb filter, composite sources will be noticeably degraded.

scott_seth

Auditioning
I just read all this and think I learned something as well.
I tried to hook up my HT yesterday and had a problem I think is explained here although I would appreciate a reply.

I wanted to try all video sources going to my receiver and then a single out to the TV. The TV has a single component video input so I connected that to monitor out on the Recvr.

DVD works great, the DVD player has a component out so the signal is the same all the way through.

I could not however get a video signal from the digital cable box using the S-video out to the receiver.

Is this the same problem - the S-video signal can't get passed through to the component video out ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks