HELP ASAP: Wega KV36HS20 vs. Pioneer DC-532HDS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonA, Jul 18, 2001.

1. JasonA

JasonA Auditioning

Greetings,
    Basically I need to get some quick advice from the experts on big screen TV's. For a long time, my family has been wanting to create a home theater. Now that I've got a job at an electronics retailer, I get a pretty decent discount. My parents pretty much just want to start out with the television for now and use our old speaker system (crap) and a decent DVD player. Anyway, I have what appears to be a sweet offer that I can purchase if I want...but the TV is the last model that they have.
    I can get the 53" Pioneer widescreen SD-532HDS for basically $2000 even. It's on clearance for $2999, and it's the last model in-stock, so they want to get rid of it, and since I'm an employee...
    Can you tell me anything about this television? The good and bad, etc. We watch a lot of DVD's but also a good bit of standard television. I'm not sure how my parents would adjust to having a widescreen TV...but they always complain about "black bars" when watching movies, so maybe this would help with that.
    My other choice is the 36" Sony HD Wega KV36HS20, which I can purchase for approximately $1650. I've always been really impressed with the Wega displays, and when I considered that I might want to hook up my Playstation 2 to the new TV, I got concerned about the projection image (any worries?) of the Pioneer. Plus, this TV is 4:3 and does the anamorphic squeeze.
    Hmmm...I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but if you can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I think that the Pioneer is a really good deal, but I'm not sure about the quality for television, DVD, and games. I guess I just always hear so much about the Wegas. Please respond quickly as I need to make a decision soon...possibly tomorrow (7/19). Thanks a lot!
    Jason

2. JasonA

JasonA Auditioning

Oops...In the subject line, that should be "Pioneer SD-532HDS"
    Sorry about that.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My dealer has a set like that, and it looks very nice indeed. The only thing even remotely in its price range at $2000 is the Panasonic PT-47WX49. But it's 6" smaller. I'd jump at the 53 if I were in your shoes.
    I've owned a direct-view my whole life, and while the tube picture is superior to RPTV, there is no substitute for sheer size when making a Home Theater. Even my girlfriend, who was very dubious of me buying an RPTV, marveled at the size gain from my old 32" tube to a 47" 16x9 screen.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

4. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

If those are your only choices, grab the 53. Make sure it's not a demo. You can always get a sound system later, but IMO it is an equal part of the HT experience. In particular with action movies.