Help! are these speakers the weak pt. in my system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_HL, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Scott_HL

Scott_HL Auditioning

Mar 9, 2002

Yamaha RX-V3200
    VTF-3 Sub
    Snell E-IV fronts, rear, center
    Room size - 11/17

My system sounds ok at lower levels, but sounds almost ear piercingly bright at higher levels. I have my speakers set to small to defer to the VTF-3.

I do have hard-wood floors, but I can't help wondering if the Snell fronts, which seemed to be designed for a heavier bass output, are weak on the mids and highs.

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000
    I've heard Snell's a few times and they kick ass. The wood floors are surely contributing to the liveliness that you are not happy with. Get a nice persian or oriental rug and that will help a lot. Add some heavy drapes and maybe a few bookshelves filled with randomly sized books and objects for diffusion. If it still sounds too bright, then worry about changing speakers.

You might consider an equalizer too to cut the treble output. I don't use an eq on my home theater speakers but in another room with just B+W 302's I use a 2 band graphic eq to soften the 1khz and above bands. This gives it a soft, mellow sound.
  3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Oct 9, 2001
    Probably the room, I had my setup in a room with hardwood and even some area rugs but it was awfully loud sounding at -10db below reference I had to play at -15 and even that was loud and ear piercing. Moving to a carpet over cement floor and closed room of similar size (a little bigger) It doesn't sound loud even at -10 I always want to turn it up. Even though it's the same volume it SEEMS louder with the extra reflections etc.
  4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Aug 29, 2000
    I would take a close look at your room, as there most likely lies much of the cause of your system under-achieving.
    The Yam amps are not helping at all either. You may want to get separate amplification.
    Speaker placement, with some room treatment (or furnishing rearrangement) may snap those Snells
    back into place. First wall reflection treatment is a good place to start. Don't spend any money yet--- just put up a small rug with long push-pins, or small nails (wool rug if possible, with a towel or two behind it via paper clips) and listen.
    If your HF is tamed somewhat, and you suddenly find your midrange mostly intact, then go from there. Or if you hear your midrange blossom, then invest in something with more eye appeal for the first reflection points. After that there is no end to it ... ;#)

Good Luck,

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Sep 30, 2001
    I have never heard the Snell's but I have never heard
    anyone complain about them being overly bright either.

The room is the culprit and no matter what speaker you
    would switch to would probably show similarities untill
    the room is tamed.

Take the advice of the others. Those hardwood floors are
    horrible (sure they look great) but for sound they are
    acoustic killers, they add too much reflection which can
    easily boost higher freq's. Large area rug over the floor
    and something on each wall to tame wall reflections (canvas
    paintings, tapestries, book cases with uneven books or an
    actual wall difusor if you can live with that look)

I think with careful room treatment you can get the Snell's
    to sound like they should. Also don't rule out good equalization
    either. You can run an RTA on the room with TrueRTA and see
    exactly where your peaks and dips are and you can go from
    there.. (equalize the peaks and make up for the dips with
    careful room treatment and placement).