What's new

Help: Arbitrary popping sound during DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully this will make sense and sound familiar to someone out there... While watching DVDs, a loud, sudden popping sound will occur. It never does it at the same point in a DVD twice, so I can never really replay the scene to tell which speaker it's coming from. I'm not much of a techie, so I don't know what to do or why this is happening. It used to happen every once in a while, but lately it's been happening almost every day.

My receiver is an older Aiwa model (AV-DV70 - doesn't even have DTS), and my center speaker sits on a large window ledge above the TV. I'm wondering if the reciever is crapping out, or if it's the speaker getting cold, or what. (The speaker has only been in the window since I moved, which was a few months ago. Previous to moving, it was in a warmer spot.) Funny thing is, the "pop" doesn't seem to be wrecking anything - all audio is fine as far as I can tell after it occurs. But it is an unsettling sound, and it's starting to get out of hand. I really don't want to have to buy another receiver right now, so I'm hoping tweaking can somehow stop this.

If anyone has any suggestions or follow-up questions for mew on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

JiM T

Richard_s

Second Unit
Few questions:

Does the "popping" happen only when you are watchind DVD's?

Assuming that it is only happening during watching DVD's then I would get a DVD cleaning kit and try that. Usually if the problem is a problem with the DVD player missing a read from the disk the picture will get some odd image problems (squares in the picture) along with the "poping" sounds.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
We don't really use the receiver for anything other than DVDs, but in the few instances when my wife has used it for CDs lately, she hasn't reported the pop.

I would be surprised if it was the DVD player causing the pop sound, since for one thing, there's no picture distortion as you described, and also, we're on our third DVD player in a row that this has happened with. So I think it's pretty safe to rule out the player(s), although I appreciate the suggestion.

Does this kind of thing occur if my receiver is sending to powerful of a signal out to my speakers, or if my speakers are too good for the receiver? I don't know what this sound is, but it's definitely getting out of hand.

I've heard the term "clipping the speakers" - can someone describe what that means? maybe that's what's happening here??

Thanks again,

JiM T

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Check to make sure you don't have any stray wires from your speaker wires touching the chasis of your receiver or each other. Also, check the speaker wire connections on your speakers for the same.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jesse, I'll be sure to check that out.

Anyone willing to tell me what the "clipped speakers" problem is? I'm still wondering if that's what's happening here...

JiM T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks