What's new

HELP!!! Any way to restore deleted files? (1 Viewer)

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Does anyone on this forum know of ANY way to restore files that have been deleted from your hardrive?

I am a university student and someone has deleted my entire file folder off of this computer, and there is NOTHING in the recycle bin! Is their any way to get these files back?

heres hoping!

thanks in advance

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Try going to START and select RUN, then type in SFC and check off "scan for altered files" then, go to settings and check off "check for changed files" and "check off "check for deleted files",then, start SFC and during this course should prompt you to restore any deleted files.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Sean.

When I type in SFC however, I get the Windows can't find file, etc. I did find a "PCHealth" file called SFC.DLL, but can't figure out how to run it...

any suggestions?

thanks

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hmmmm. What did you delete?

sfc(system file checker) should be a part of your Windows operating system. Is it possible you deleted sfc or any other Windows operating files?

What version of Windows are you running?

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I'm running Windows ME.

There shouldn't be any chance that sfc or any other file was deleted... it seems to be just the one folder that I'm missing... this is so weird!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I am sorry Mike, I don't know that much about computers, did you go to "RUN" or "FIND" in your START menu?

Hopefully somebody here with ME experience will be able to help you.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Windows ME, I'd suggest going to norton.com and grabbing a trial version of Norton Utilities, which should include an undelete utility.

Note that as more time passes, and more files are written to/moved around on your hard drive, your recovery percentage is going to drop drop drop. And for the love of your Gods of choice, don't do a disk defrag.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Im no PC guru either, but does anyone think doing a "Restore" will help?
It restores your PC to a previous date, but i wonder if the files would be there or not?

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a program I think it was called Restore but I'll have to check at work tomorrow. Anyway, I used it to recover files from our NT server. It was easy to use and cheap. :D :D I got it from the companies web site. Just a download away with a credit card. They sent me the "Key" via email in just a few minutes. In less than 30 minutes I had recovered the files. I'll check to see if it will work with ME. Norton Utilities would also work I guess. I use it on our Macs but haven't tried it on PC's.
As someone else said, the more files you write (save) to your drive, the more likely your files will not be recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks