Help and direction required! Please help!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stenson, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Stenson

Stenson Auditioning

Aug 9, 2006

First post here, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to setting up a home theatre system. I'm out of college, got a job and all, decided I want to buy something fun. I have about 12 - 15 k to spend. Whatever home theatre system I get will be used probably for movies / video games (quite often for video games) as well as nightly TV.

I am living in an apartment right now so tearing down walls and such is out of the question. I'll be apartment hopping for the next couple of years until I get enough money for a town house, so I will have to move this system a few times. (I have another big chunk saved up for a house, so don't worry bout that [​IMG])

There is so much information out on the net, can someone point me to a good stepping stone on where to get myself up to speed so I can make a good decision on what to get? And perhaps after I research, give insight to my decisions so I am not going the wrong way?

Current equipment concept (extreme rough draft):
    A/V : Denon AVR-4306 (~$1300) or Denon AVR-2807 (~$720)
    TV / Projector : Sony VPL-VW100 (~$7500)
    Projector Screen: Carada Criterion Series Brilliant White (~$700)
    Cables : tbd
    speakers: tbd

Oh and one last note: I'll be buying the home theatre system in December... if that makes any difference (besides the price on equipment going down, or newer more expensive equipment coming out!)

Comments please and thank you all in advance!
  2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
    The beginner section is more for things like "how do I connect my VCR to the TV" type questions. Don't be surprised if this thread is moved.

When shopping for a projector, I looked at the Sony VPL-VW100. It had a very nice picture but I think the Panasonic AE-900U had the same quality at a fraction of the price. My 900 projecting on a DIY screen that I made for under $100 does a better job than the Sony I saw in the show room.