help an elderly newbie re HD DVD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jerry_C, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Jerry_C

Jerry_C Auditioning

guys, sure could use some help, just extended my retirement date so I could put in a proper HT without spending the kids' inheritance, had selected Denon 4806 receiver, Denon 2910 or 3910 DVD players and Yamaha DPX 1200 fj and some Def Tech speakers. Reading strings yesterday I see HD DVD is going to be at least 1080p and near as I can figure all this new stuff I picked out is 720p or 1080i.

in your opinions, do I go cheap now and wait for the good stuff or will the stuff I've selected be good enough at 720p to make the incremental gain to HD DVD less dramatic?

Thanks guys

2. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

You might try posting in Hardware[​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jerry, let's try your thread here in Display Devices. And, look, the subjects of HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc are causing all sorts of controversy here at Home Theater Forum. The owners of this board are working with other Websites and a magazine to organize a boycott of these formats due a) to the fact of their being two incompatible formats and b) to the fact that both disc formats will require an HDMI connection in order to see anything in HD.

It's a mess.

At any rate, welcome to Home Theater Forum.

4. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe a single 1080P consumer television exists and when they do come out, they'll have that oh so friendly price that the early adopters get nailed with...

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Neither of the Denon players will ever reproduce HD DVD in whichever format comes to market. The will upscale existing DVD's closer to the native resolution of some display devices. They're good players (with the bonus of SACD and DVD-A formats) but they're a little expensive if you're considering HD-DVD in the future.

Like Jack said, the whole HD DVD thing presently is a mess that may not get sorted out any time soon. So what's a guy to do? Twere me, I'd buy the 2910 or 3910 and plan on just enjoying its benefits for a couple of years and wait on the other formats to settle their stuff.

Mort

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What he said.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the samsung 78 series dlp's are 1080p. of course, nothing is currently available (that i'm aware of) that is *sourced* at 1080p. so the tv is simply scaling the input.

personally, i would go with what's out there now. you can get such a stellar picture with current hd technology (720p/1080i) that it'd be a shame to "hold back" just to see what's comin' down the pipe.

you're already extending your retirement for this ... so why wait for anything else! [​IMG]

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are 1080p HD sources from DVHS and WMVHD.

Seeing a 1080p source fed to a 1080p native display like the qualia or JVC hd2k is pretty impressive [​IMG].

9. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Consumer 1920x1080 displays have been available for some time now. In fact, there have been CRT's that can display 2500x2000 for over ten years, and JVC has had LCoS projectors with native QXGA resolutions (2048x1536) for seven years. Recently Sony came out with two 1920x1080 LCoS displays, the QUALIA projector and RPTV. Most recently Sharp came out with a couple 1920x1080 LCD DVTV's.

As expected they all go for a premium price, but that was also the case with 1280x720 displays just four years ago.

Even if you were only interested in a 1280x720 display, I'd suggest you 'go cheap' because display technology is improving drastically, and still has a lot of room for improvement. In addition, prices are dropping as fast as the products improve, so buying high-end now, and upgrading later will cost you a tremendous amount in depreciation.

The advantage of buying entry-level products right now is that not only are they as good as the high-end stuff from only three years ago, but that even if they depreciate rapidly, the net loss wont be much which will allow you to upgrade more often.

The more difficult question will eventually be whether or not to upgrade to a 3840x2160 display. Currently there are no plans for 4K home video which will likely keep these high-resolution displays as only commercial products, but who knows. After-all, CE companies and content providers are always looking for ways to get people to upgrade or buy more products, so I suspect at some point, perhaps in ten years, there will be a market demand that could support economical consumer level 4K displays and content. [​IMG]

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i would recommend listening to Nils [​IMG]

Jerry, prices on DLP projectors are in the process of dropping fast- due to pressure by LCDs and Sonys SXRD technology. i also think much of your list there is overkill and i have no doubt i could take your entire budget and put together a system that would be at least 90% as satisfying for 50% of the price.
    wait a few months until after CEDIA and you could probably whittle that down to 40%.

unless you've seen these components up close and tested and compared them and came to the conclusion that these are the ones you want then by all means go for them and enjoy the hell out of them.
    but like Nils says, buying higher end means a nasty depreciation.
    the quality of todays $4K pj is equivilent or better than an $8-10K pj a few years back.
    if you are just going by reading reviews off the web, i think you can put together a better value system for a lot less.

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

I have never heard of D-VHS at 1080p. Do you have any source for this?

Chris

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sorry, you're right I clumped 'em together.

DVHS 1080i.

WMV HD does provide 1080p though, and IMO 1080i scaled to 1080p is pretty damn, well, impressive!

13. Jerry_C

Jerry_C Auditioning

First, let me thank all of you for the input. Second, more advice please if you have a moment. Assuming I wait, I have a serviceable receiver, Panasonic 600 watts, 5.1, DD and DTS, which may do until I decide to upgrade. As re DVD players, I also have a decent Panasonic progressive player, the question then becomes the projector - or I guess fpj in forum lingo. Am I better off looking for new lower priced dlp's, lcd's or used dlp? Chris - Nils - Paul - everyone - can you help here please? Thanks again
    :b