What's new

Help! Am I sitting too close? (1 Viewer)

Tom Oastler

Auditioning
I got a new Sony 61HS30, the new 4:3 RPTV, yesterday.
I am sitting about 11 feet from it, but
experiencing red eyes and a bit of stinging!
I am assuming I am sitting too close, or does
it go away after you get used to it? I do
notice the TV appearing more focused watching
satellite TV a few more feet back, about 4 feet,
but I can't really arrange the furniture that
far back. Should I get the 53"? Would it appear
more focused at 11", thus relieving eye strain?
I have a full return or exchange policy.
The set seems really great except for this.
Thanks!
Tom

J

John Morris

I am sitting about 11 feet from it, but experiencing red eyes and a bit of stinging!
Tom: Lay off the weed while watching movies if you can...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Two things come immediately to mind rather than sitting too close.
1. How high is Picture control turned up? It should be turned way down. Almost every home I go into with a new RPTV has them set to torch mode. That is tough on the eyes.
2. The idea about backlighting the RPTV is right on. That can great relieve eye fatigue and increase the visual sense of depth in the picture.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
I sit about 8' away from a 120" screen with no light source in the room except the projector. I don't have any problems with my eyes other than tears of joy. :)

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa---------$44.95 for an 18 inch, 15 watt fluorescent tube. Try Home Depot-----probably about $12.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
That's what I was thinking Tom, ouch! Any home imporovement store will have that sucker for

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
check your brightness, contrast and picture controls. chances are they're set to near max levels. this is very typical of units out of the box.
also, some people like a completely dark room, but i feel that some dim lighting is a good thing. i have a halogen lamp that shoots into the roof. as long as the light doesn't glare off the tv you should be fine. others recommend putting some sort of diffused light behind the tv, although i haven't tried that method.
good luck and watch those stinging eyes...obviously something isn't right.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Any old home improvement store unfortunately won't carry the Lumichrome 1xx bulb which is in that lamp. While other tubes are near 6500K CCT, the Lumichrome is particularly and noticably most accurate in recreating the color of light which matches the desired D65 for the display screen. Most "6500K" bulbs I've tried from pet shops, lighting stores, and home improvment centers are tinted incorrectly. The Lumichrome 1XX is a standout winner. That lamp not only will serve as a backlight but also serve as the most accurate color reference you'll find short of a professional optical comparator for checking the display's gray scale color. The difference in color isn't as critical for just plain old backlighting, but think about it. For a few dollars more, you get something that has a VERY interesting utility in home theater.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks