What's new

Help, all my speakers got pushed in! (1 Viewer)

derekoflifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
My girlfriends 2 year old decided to push in the centers of all my paradigm speakers. Can any one tell me how to get them back out? I took them out but I can't get at them from the back to push them out and I can't work them with my fingers to pop them back out. I hope they are not wrecked, Please help.

p.s. I learned my lesson, I will always keep the covers on!

derekoflifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I tried tape, the centers are some sort of platic type material and the tape won't really stick to it. Any other ideas?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vaccuum cleaner. Place the hose over the dust cap and turn on the vaccuum cleaner. Let it suck out the pushed in dust cap and turn it off. Then remove the hose from the speaker. Pulling the hose away from the speaker while the there is still suction will pull the entire cone and possible ruin the driver.

Or you can use a pin with a 90 degree curve in it. Poke a hole in the dust cap and use the end of the pin as a little hook to pull it back out. A small dab of glue will seal up the hole.

Better yet, get replacement drivers from Paradigm and give the bill to the GF. Maybe next time she will keep the kid on a shorter leash.

-Robert

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Try the vacuum and tape suggestions..but if they don't work don't sweat it as the dust cap is there to keep dust out of the speaker driver coil so as long as its not cracked it won't change the sound in any audible manner.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A bent dust cap will affect the dispersion and driver intermodulation slightly, but it shouldn't damage the overall sound of the speaker in a dramatic way.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Vacuum cleaner works fine. Some years ago, my kids did the same thing to my speakers, and I used vacuum cleaner and fixed it that way. Get a powerful vacuum cleaner, turn it on, and hold the hose steady, and get very close to the dent, but don't touch it, and see if it pops back out. If not, you may need to make a custom hose adapter with one end to the vacuum cleaner hose, and the other end to the dust cap that will just fit the dent.

derekoflifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
man Robert your tough. I could imagine to reprocusions of handing her a bill for new speakers...... it would cost me ten fold in return. haha

vacuum worked, thanks everyone!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you marry her, all of your upgrades cost at least triple. For every dollar you budget for your theater, put two in the wife gift account.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks