Help! All Hitachi lovers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christina M, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Christina M

Christina M Auditioning

I am not new to home theater but after reading many of your posts, I do feel like an amateur - you all know so much, but I'm learning. I originally came to this forum to help us decide what tv to buy. We went with the Hitachi 57 in. widescreen uwx model because owners seemed to love it. Here is the problem: The picture is beautiful and clear on closeups, but when they pan back on the subject, it becomes a lot less clear. For instance, on football games when they pan back to show all the players lined up for a play you can't even read their numbers or see the team logo on their helmets - it's very blurry. Am I expecting too much? We have only had the tv for about 10 days. I have done the "magic focus" convergence and just bought an AVIA disk but have only done the basic adjustments thus far. Also, there is a lot of glare on the screen. We turn most of the lights off in the room where we are watching, but if there is a light showing from another room, even that glares. Did we make a mistake by not buying the swx model? I think it has an anti-glare screen. Also, would the bigger guns on the swx produce a better picture? We bought it at Sears and I'm guessing they would let us exchange it if we are not satisfied. Any thoughts or advice from Hitachi lovers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Larry Rankine

Larry Rankine Auditioning

Christina,
    I'm a new owner (since 12/20) of the 51swx20b and I love it! And I haven't had an ISF calibration yet! Haven't really noticed any significant glare problems. Whether that's due to the screen, my set placement or a combination of the two I can't say. Since I haven't compared the model you have I can't really speak with any authority but I will tell you that the HD stuff I've watched on HDnet will knock your socks off! Normal broadcast stuff is good but pales in comparison. I'd go back to the store and compare the two with something you're familiar with (DVD, TV show, etc.)and then make your decision.

Larry

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Christina,

Is the Magic Focus convergence a single button you press to set convergence? If so, delve deeper into the user menu to find a way to manually set convergence on a number of points.

I'm not familiar with how the Hitachi does it, but on my Toshiba you'll get a crosshair in the middle of the screen, then you manually move the red and blue images until red, blue and green are on top of one another to make a white cross.

Then you can go further and converge eight more points on the screen in the same way, giving you, in total, a "nine-point convergence."

Getting the convergence right should help the sharpness of your picture.

Jan

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Christina,

Which football games were you watching? Do you actually have a HiDef feed?

FYI, only the CBS broadcasts of the AFC games this past weekend were in 1080i. The FOX broadcasts were only 480p.

On my newly installed Time Warner Cable service via their Scientific Atlanta 3100HD STB's 1080i upconversion, the FOX 480p broadcasts looked very marginally better than the regular FOX broadcasts--both using the upconversion. The CBS 1080i broadcasts, OTOH, looked awesome. FYI, I have a Panny 53" for the TV.

If you're not watching HD programming, then that probably explains much of the blurriness on the larger scope shots. Of course, convergence and lens focus can still be part of the issue.

_Man_

5. Christina M

Christina M Auditioning

Thanks for all of your replies. To answer your questions:
    The magic focus is the automatic convergence. It does have a manual convergence, but my husband is a little hesitant about trying it for fear of really messing it up. We read somewhere that you should only try that if you're an expert. I think it has something like 64 points to adjust. Not quite sure about that though. Also, we do not receive an HD signal right now. We subscribe to DirecTV and the only HD signals they broadcast are the premium channels which we don't subscribe to. Our local cable company has said they will begin to broadcast in HD sometime this year but I'm not holding my breath as they have just gone digital. That is why we didn't buy the tv with an HD tuner. We thought we would wait to get the tuner when HD became available to us. Actually, since my first post, the picture on our tv has seemed to have improved. Somewhere one of these forums mentioned it takes about 100 hours for the tv to "settle in" and all of a sudden the picture gets better. Last night we turned to FX where they were showing Armageddon. The picture was outstanding. Looked like we were watching a DVD. But when we turned it to another channel, the picture was not near as good. I'm beginning to think it's the signal from the stations. Any thoughts on any or all of these things? Thanks! Chris

6. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

I have the Hitachi as well, and the manual convergence seems pretty easy. just move the 'cross hair' to the different grid points on the screen and move around to adjust. And, if you mess it up you can just redo it with the auto mode (or even reset/cancel right from the menu).

Mick

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Christina,
    You should also make sure to let the TV warm up for at least 30min, preferably longer, before doing any convergence.
    Anyway, since you're not watching any broadcasts in HD on a large 57" display, that explains much of the blurriness you mentioned.
    Yeah, quality will vary from program to program, channel to channel. I get the same kind of results on my Panny 53" w/ digital cable. True HD content, OTOH, can look awesome! [​IMG] The CBS HD broadcasts of the 2 AFC games over the weekend were great--well, ok, I only got around to watching the Saturday game. [​IMG] Movies look awesome in 1080i although I noticed some flickering/shimmering in some cases.
    _Man_