What's new

Help! Affordable power cord needed (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know of a really inexpensive power cord 14 guage or bigger?

Thanks in advance.

Artie

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Camp

That cable is AWOL.

Any one know a source for a detachable power cable that is modestly priced?

Thanks again.

Artie

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Have you considered making your own? Apparently, it's not too hard, and you can make a very high quality one for under $50.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gabriel

I am not handy with a soldering iron. I would hate to have something go wrong with a puff of smoke. The amp still has 3 years left on the warranty and I don't want to void the warranty.

Anyone else know a source for a basic 6 foot power cord of at least 14 guage?

Thanks again.

Artie

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gabriel

I am not a DIY kind of guy. I need something commercially made, modest, but with a good track record.

Thanks

Artie

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
What's considered modestly priced to you?

Doing a perusial search of the HTF Accessories link shows the following:
Rhino Cables:
http://www.rhinocables.com/performance_ac_cord.htm $79.00

Boulder Cable:
http://www.boldercables.com/Store.as...777&s=AC+Power

The rest didn't carry power cables or were over this price range. I would assume this is "reasonable" as like most anything cables can get expensive.

I haven't used those but they fit the description of "reasonable" and are both 12 guage. I didn't see a 16 gauge power cable out there.

Could also check out this link to a 6 ft Virtual Dynamics Cryo Treated Power Cable 14gauge.
http://www.virtualdynamics.ca/products/POW/BAS
$40.00

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Look no further than this...

www.signalcable.com

Outstanding products, amazing build quality and incredible value for very little money.

I've upgraded all of my AC cords to this stuff -- can't beat it for 2-3 time the money (in my opinion).

Good luck and tell Frank I sent you.

-Paul

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I have tried the Volex (Belden) cables and found them to be perfect for most applications. They are 14 ga., Beldfoil shielded, and have solid connectors. The "guru's" may disagree with my, but I think that you would be hard-pressed to do better for most of your components (not including high powered amps of course.)
JP

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think the Volex is UL listed...likely the others aren't but they 'may' try and confuse the purchaser by saying that they use UL approved components.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Dude,

Do yourself (and your ears) a favor... if this is for a better power amp (or pre), and you have the opportunity to replace the power cord, get something of quality. Your particular component may not be sensitive to power cord changes, but if it is, your ears will appreciate it...

Some respondents will say things about the last meter or two of power, after it having come all the way from the power plant and through the cable in your walls, yada yada yada... the sad truth is that these guys have either

A. never owned components susceptible to cheap power cord degradation,

B. if they have, never listened for (or unable to hear) the difference, or

C. love giving what they consider to be practical advice, even at the expense of ignoring the musicality gained from audio tweaking.

The truth is that, with some designs, the power cord becomes part of the component itself, and there are REAL
differences in sound quality to be had by a better power cord, just as there are from better interconnects. This may not be the case with your component... even some higher-end units will not be as susceptible as others to a power cord upgrade, which is why you can't go wrong following some of the other's advice on an at-least $40-100 cord.

BTW, radio shack is where I went to buy the serial cable to update my home theater processor with my computer; I would not put one of their audio cables in the signal path that ends with beautiful music...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about A Lee. If you've got a piece of equipment that susceptible to power cord changes then it sounds like either your equipment is defective or the engineer didn't know how to properly design a power supply.
Which particular piece of equipment did you have in mind where the cord plays such a profound role? Perhaps one needs to also run the AC line in conduit too?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you've got a piece of equipment that susceptible to power cord changes then it sounds like either your equipment is defective or the engineer didn't know how to properly design a power supply.
I love this response.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Yes Krell makes defective equipment and their engineers are a bunch of dolts.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well if Krell is selling amps with substandard power cords Shane that's absolutely terrible. It's a rather reasonable thing to expect that whomever sold you your equipment properly sized the cord to the job at hand.
Perhaps these responses from Bryston may prove useful...just don't take them to the monthly Flat Earth Society Meetings!
Well slap me upside the head, Edison, Tesla, and Maxwell all rolled into one.
Love your emoticons :)

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Shane,

Have you talked to the engineers at Krell about this? I for one would be interested to hear what THEY have to say, as surely they'd be the best authority on the matter.

BTW: I agree with Chu, and concentrate on improving things that I KNOW make a difference, rather than mucking around with things that basic science shows are questionable at best.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to end this to stop the further thread polluting that this has become. Let's discuss this theadfart in another thread.

Jonathan,
I was using Krell as an example of an amp that I know folks have used a non factory power cord to improve the sound.

I think I'll use my ignore list in the future. Much easier.
Apology for the discussion Arthur. I hate when this crap can ruin a good thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks