What's new

Help! Advice on moving a *heavy* 32" Sony Wega! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I am moving in a week or so, and I am really worried about how I am going to move my WEGA (by far the heaviest item I have ever owned, excluding my car). I am just moving about 15 minutes away, but I am concerned about how to actually transport the television.

My question is, has anyone here ever moved one? Can you use a UHaul Appliance Dolly? Any suggestions for getting a several-hundred-pound WEGA across town without hiring movers? And through a door space just barely wide enough for the TV...?

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Joseph

Kevin P

Screenwriter
A dolly would work, just wrap the TV in blankets so it doesn't get scratched. Better yet, just find a couple of really strong guys to pick up the set and carry it to and from its unit of transportation. Just note that most of the weight is in the front of the set (the screen).

If you got the set into the house you can get it out again.

KJP

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Do you know anyone with a truck or van? I had a neighbor, whom I didn't know very well, help me bring home a 60" TV in his truck.

~T

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
How did you get it into your current residence in the first place?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I brought mine home from Best Buy when I bought it. Myself and one of my friends carried it in without use of a cart. Even though we're both fairly strong, it took every ounce of energy to get that thing in the house. Damn lucky I didn't have any stairs to go up or down or it might have been the end of us. Whatever you do, make sure you use a moving pad or blanket to protect the screen while it's being moved.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I also got my 32" Wega from Best Buy and it took me and my brother to get that thing out of the van and into the basement (which required us to take it down stairs). The thing was when it was in its box it was fairly easy to rest it on the floor when we were tired and take it down the steps one at a time. When we moved it again without the box it was much harder.
My advice is get a membership at Gold's Gym and you should be able to move it by yourself in a year. *looks over Michael* Make that 2. ;) But seriosuly though I like the blankets and dolly idea. Either that or get 2 guys this time to help you.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hey, I moved my 32" wega in and out of a third story apartment. How do you like them apples? We just carried it, but I would use a cart if I had to do it again.

Dimitri H

Auditioning
If there is a big game (such as Atlanta - Tampa Bay this Sunday) on the day of the move, invite some buddies (like I did) with the promise of some beer and pizza. When they show up, say '...by the way..there is one thing....'

...works every time!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I had to move my 36" VVega (~289 lbs., IIRC) a few weeks ago. I got three of my friends to grab it -- being the weakest of the four of us, I let them do the grunt work -- and carry it down three flights of stairs. It was loaded onto the bed of an old Ford truck and carted over to my current residence. I covered the screen with a comforter and made sure the truck was filled with enough stuff (the TV stand and a love seat; I think that was it) so that the set wouldn't roll around.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph, I just did the exact thing you are talking about a month ago.
We were on the 3rd floor in an apartment complex - no elevators. We used a regular U-Haul dolly (not an appliance one) and wrapped it with bubble wrap a few times over, placed it on the dolly and then used furniture wrap (the saran-wrap like thing you can get at a U-Haul place) to secure and attach it to the dolly. We went down the stairs one step at a time, having one person make sure the TV is stable. We then put the dolly and TV (which are bound together by the furniture wrap) in the truck and secured it so it wouldn't move.
It wasn't too bad - the hardest part was lifting the TV onto the stand when we brought it to our new place.
Just be careful - you'll be fine :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys are awesome.
I helped some friends move a few weeks ago, and we used a UHaul dolly with the packing tape Yoshi mentioned. But this was a relatively benign 27" 'normal' television.
As far as getting the TV in... it was still in the box, and my friend and I rolled it like a boulder.. just kidding!! :laugh::laugh: No actually, it took every ounce of strength I have and I dont' think I could do it without the box again.
I am familiar with UHaul's applicance dolly, but I had reservations about whether the TV strapped to the dolly would fit through my door space. And I agree.. getting it off and on the stand will be the real test.
Thanks again!
Joseph

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I helped some friends move a few weeks ago, and we used a UHaul dolly with the packing tape Yoshi mentioned. But this was a relatively benign 27" 'normal' television.
Man, when my last TV crapped out (32" Phillips), I just picked it up and carried it out to the car myself. After taking it in to Best Buy and deciding on the Wega, it was clear I wasn't going to get that in the car myself. I had a guy at the store help get it in the car. He seemed like a retiree and he damn near keeled over trying to help lift it. Luckily I was able to find someone more able-bodied to help get it into my place.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I moved my 29" Sony Wega recently. not as big nor heavy a monster as a 32" version, but it was just me and the missus so it was still an experience. (FWIW, IIRC it's 60kg v. 90kg, about 130lbs v. 200lbs).

I used a trolley for most of the movement on flat ground, with the main problems just lifting it first into the van I hired (we were moving other furniture as well, not just the TV), lifting it back out, and in our new apartment lifting it onto the TV console.

as others have warned, most of the weight is in the front (due to the glass in the flat CRT screen) so take extra note. another point is that the bottom "edge" of the TV can "cut" or "bite" into your hands (which was my wife's biggest complaint) so you might want to use the cloths or comforters others have suggested using to pad your hands as well while lifting.

given how heavy the things are, I don't think mine shifted at all while driving the van, even on an expressway doing 65mph, but taking it easy during turns and braking would be good common sense too.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I've used this technique on several occassions...works everytime. :)
I helped a friend move into a third floor condo about three weeks ago. It took five of us (2 on each end and one to act as the screen protector) to carry his ~55" RPTV from the moving truck up 30+ flights of stairs and into his new crib.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I hope I don't have to move mine. Got it on a Wega stand and if I remove it, I'll have to pry off the plastic molding strip that conceals the base of the TV. I think it's just stuck on with some adhesive and I'd probably have a problem getting it to stick again.

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when I got my 32" WEGA for my downstairs. A friend and I lugged it into the house with little effort and rested it on the floor until I bought the matching stand. I had the stand for a week and all my friends weren't around and I couldn't wait to set it up. One night after a few drinks with my girlfriend I came home and had the "Beer Strength" -- I actually managed to lift it onto the stand myself without too much drama.

One nice thing about carrying it with 2 people. There's some handles on the side. Just put one hand in the handle and the other on the glass part of the TV to keep the front-heaviness from tipping it over.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread