Help/advice for rear channels

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Father John A, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

Just bought some new Phase Tech V4s and one V6 for a center channel. So far I love them, huge difference over the old Sony's I was using (tiny surround package deals).

What I would like now would be some new rear channels speakers to round things out. However I would like to keep the rear speaekers smaller than the V4s 7 wide x 11 tall.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Hello fellow Phase Tech owner. Not too many of us out there. Do you prefer monopole for surrounds? The Velocity Series surround (V-Surround) is switchable between bipole and dipole. I have not seen/heard them, but they are similar in size/shape to the Phase Tech DST's I have. They hang flush on the wall.

Well. I just checked and the V-Surround is 11.75" wide x 9.00" tall, actually a little bigger than the V-4. Not much help, am I? Phase Tech may not fit with what you need, shop around, you'll find something.

Long live Phase Technology!

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Father John:

Sorry it took three days to answer your query, but it was a tough one. Dedicated surround speakers significantly smaller than 11" x 7" are extremely rare.

Also, you need speakers that are not brighter in the treble nor more forward in the upper midrange than your Phase Technology speakers. Otherwise the surrounds would often call attention to themselves--a major no-no. To work properly, the surrounds should tonally blend with the front speakers. Since Phase Techs are typically smooth, easygoing, and somewhat laidback speakers, a matching surround must be sonically similar. Another Phase Tech product would be an ideal choice, but none is small enough to fit your requirements.

I recalled Cambridge SoundWorks (cambridgesoundworks.com) made two very small switchable bipole/dipole surrounds, but a new line was introduced about two years ago. To my surprise, they apparently have some units still available. Plus, they now sell for about one-third of their original prices.

I have not heard them myself, but these CSW products had a reputation for sounding laidback, too. Hence they should, in theory, work very well with your Phase Techs. Happily, the company has a generous return policy if they disappoint.

I strongly recommend the better unit, "The Surround" (8.125" x 5.25"; $135/pair), over the smaller "The Surround II" (6.75 x 4.75; $70/pair). The slightly larger unit will offer much better dynamic range, which is important for action movies, and work well in all but the largest rooms. The smaller unit is intended for very small rooms only.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas!

4. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to both of you.

Actually, I don't know the difference between bipole and dipole.