What's new

Help a novice craftsman. (1 Viewer)

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
So, apparently I didn't learn very much about tools or fixing the house when I was younger.

Here is what I need to do. I need to install three binding post plates. I am installing one with two sets of outlets that will connect to binding posts in the other side of the room where I will connect my rear speakers for my HT. I am planning on running wire through the crawl space under the floor.

In the spots for the rear speakers, I pre-drilled holes on the boards between the studs and the floor, exposing the crawl space, so that I can guide the speaker wire up there.

Anyways, what types of tools will I need for this project? What would be best to cut the drywall? Is there any easy to make mistakes that a noob would make that you can advise to avoid?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
You can get wall boxes that sort of clamp onto the drywall, making installation a snap. All you need for making the hole in the drywall is a little saw. It has a blade maybe 6 inches long, and tapers to a point. the handle is just a round bit of wood straight in line with the blade.

If you are carefull when you cut the hole, there will be no need to make repairs. grin. Hint - make a template out of paper, and trace around it.

You can get some damaged chunks of drywall for free at Lowes, and practice on them. Ask one of th guys or gals in there, and they can show you the drywall saw.

To fish the wire up into the wall, all you need is a coat hanger, or a longer piece of wire.

I'm not sure where you put the holes "between studs." do you mean you have a hole from the crawl space up into the wall? or is the hole visible in the room? (you'll have to fix that...)

Lowe's or (The) Home Depot may have a home fis-up book with great advice in it. Such a book is likely at your local library, too.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, I drilled the holes between the studs, in the wall, leading down to the crawl space. It is not visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.