What's new

Help a Newbie w/ 1996 Mirage! (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm a car-audio newbie with a '96 mitsubishi mirage (s coupe), help me get a good audio system!

Speakers: I don't know what size replacement speakers to get. The manual doesn't say, and the crutchfield online 'what fits my car' guide changes it opinion on what size the speakers are ! (one day its 5&1/4, tomorrow its 6&1/2).

Subwoofer: I have a truck, what kind of enclosure is best? (I'm looking for a nice flat Freq. response 20-20,000, no need to cause an earthquake).

Amps: who is a good manufacturer of amps? are the cheap ones as good as the expensive ones in a non-competition vehicle?

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
For speakers (Coax or Component sets) I found CDTs to be a good bargain but EXCELLENT sounding sets for $149.00 for the COMP CL61 Set

For subs and amps:
I would go with a single sub set-up in a small sealed enclosure with about 400-500 watts.

Amp would be a single 4 channel amp with the front channels powering the CDT's and the Back channels powering the subwoofer bridged.

Sub: Elemental Designs E12K Dual 2 ohms for $135.00 + shipping

Amp: Avionixx 600.4 Class AB amp 110 watts X 4 @ 4 ohms RMS $280.00 + shipping

Im assuming you already have a head unit or you can pick up a nice HU from www.ikesound.com for cheap, like the Blau Casablanca for $95.00 + shipping.

Since I don't know your budget and your Installation skills, I just put together a simple/in-expensive COMPLETE set-up with TOP NOTCH gear.

Breakdown:

HU: $95.00 (Blau Casablanca) + shipping
AMP: $280.00 (Avionixx AXA 600.4) + shipping
SUB: $135.00 (Elemental Designs E12K.22 Dual 2 ohms or single 4 Ohms) + shippinf
COMP SET: $150.00 (CDT Classic CL61) Free shipping from www.thezeb.com

TOTAL : $660.00 without shipping so roughly ~$700-$725.00 with shipping: Add another $80.00 for the wiring and SUB Box...$800.00 TOTAL!!!!

I hope this helps or starts up your research on gear. I can honestly say that the gear mentioned here are HIGH QUALITY with excellent warranty from "AUTHORIZED" online dealers (Except the Blaupunct).

Good Luck
Angelo

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks alot for the suggestion!

Believe it or not I've wanted a Blaupunkt cd-player ever since I saw Robocop:D

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
personally I'd look at eclipse, clarion, or alpine for the head unit.
CDT is a great suggestion.
eD 12K is a nice sub.. go with a sealed enclosure for a flat response and smaller enclosure.
amplifiers.. look at something a bit better than avionxx. consider kicker or MTX amps.. if you want cheaper, look at JBL.
as for the powe rsuggested above, be ready for a high output alternator as well.. most vehicles have a stock alternator rating of about 70A, which won't handle high current draws like that. Look to spend about $200 for a H.O. alternator upgrade, plus installation.
knukonceptz dot com has a good 4AWG amp wiring kit for $30 too
you'll need that for the amplifiers to do this well.

regarding the speaker sizes, best bet is to call a local car audio shop and ask an installer. I haven't worked on a newer Mirage so I'm not sure.
Here in Michigan, nobody has forgeign cars (no joke.. it's sad.)
best of luck

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
1995-96 Mitsubishi Mirage Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground Chassis
Illumination Green/White
Dimmer Black/Yellow
Antenna Driver's Pillar
Front Speakers 4" Dash
Left Front (+) White/Blue
Left Front (-) Black/Blue
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Black/Red
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck (some have 6 1/2" in rear)
Left Rear (+) Yellow/Blue
Left Rear (-) Gray/Blue
Right Rear (+) Yellow/Red
Right Rear (-) Gray/Red

Hope this helps

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
that's from the12volt.com's database. I recognise the format.
call to verify that data.
I've caught mistakes in their database before, like them tryint to say the front door speakers in a WJ body Grand Cherokee are 6.5" when in reality they are 6x9"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks