Help a newbie upgrade!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by carlw, Mar 12, 2003.

1. carlw

carlw Auditioning

HI all! [​IMG] Just found this site a few days ago and I am already learning a lot!

This is my current system:
    32" Philips TV
    Pioneer VSX-811s Receiver
    Pioneer DV-333 DVD Player
    Pioneer CD player
    Cerwin Vega VS-120's (fronts)
    Sony SSCR305's (center & surrounds)
    No sub

My weak link is obviously in the speaker area, but where do I start? And what do I upgade to?

Specifics are: Probably about 50/50 music/movies, 15 X 19 room (with vaulted ceiling, if that makes a difference).

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

SUB = the first thing you should buy.

Do it yourselfer?

3. carlw

carlw Auditioning

Yeah I have been doing everything myself, learning as I go. Though I am pretty new to all this, so I am sure I have much to learn.

I know a sub seems logical, but I don't know how much more bass I really need. Would it add much considering the size of my mains? The Vega's can really pound.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks to all for your help!

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I meant are you a woodworker...

As in do-it yourself with a driver / amp / piece of wood. You can get twice the performance of most commercial designs that way.

Do the CV's ever make your pants shake? Wiggle the couch? Vibrate the floorboards to the point where you might be doing some damage?

That's the subwoofage common around these parts. Cheap and easy, and you can get the boxes pre-built. Just assemble the kit and off you go.

What's your budget?

If not the sub, get a matching set of speakers all the way around, or a bigger / better TV. Budget plays big here - JBL's NSP set for cheap or a million others for more $$$...

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

without a doubt, the first thing you need to get are some new speakers.

using the vega's for the mains, but the sony for the center and rears creates a strong imbalance. i know the vegas are very bassy, and i doubt the sony's can "keep up".

i'm sure you know bout timbre matching? if not, read the faq - i think i wrote an article in there about it.

i think you will be amazed at how much of a difference a balanced soundstage (especially up front) will make.

6. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I think you also have to make a decision as to whether you want to go with all full range speakers and forget about the subwoofer. That's what I did because I wanted a very good pair of full range speakers up-front for just playing audio, but I was careful (as mentioned) about choosing speakers that match up well in terms of range.

7. carlw

carlw Auditioning

As far as building my own sub, no I am not THAT much of a DYI'er. Would much rather just buy one.

Based on the responses so far I think I am going to replace the 2 mains and the center first.

I know it wouldn't be optimal until adding 2 good rears and a sub, but I must do 1 piece at a time.

My budget for that would be around $1000.

Any recommedations for good mains and center? While I watch a lot of movies, I still want to have a good system for music. And I listen to heavy metal/hard rock so it needs to be pretty loud. [​IMG]

I know it wouldn't be optimal until adding 2 good rears and a sub, but I must do 1 piece at a time.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

a 1k budget is very decent.

at that price point i highly recommend you check out the ENERGY TAKE 5.2 SYSTEM

this 5.1 package (yes, it includes the sub) has consistently garnered praise and awards. be sure to check out the website. also, do a search here to see how others feel about it.

finally, if you'd like other options, do a search in the speakers section (look up "recommend" "suggestion" etc) or post a question over there. be sure to include your budget.

you'll definitely be able to find some decent speakers. if you go piece by piece you'll do even better!