Help a newbie find his way please

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Cass M, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cass M

Cass M Auditioning

Hi! I am trying to find some info on the basics of receivers/speakers. A guide would be nice. But if there isn't one around, these are a few of the questions I was looking to have answered. I found the formula for dBw[ log(Watts)*10 ]. But is louder always going to be better? Are there different qualities of sound from different receivers with the same dBw?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Cass. Welcome to HTF!

Our Pimer FAQ has a lot of good startup information:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=107252

Some Advice about power:

In the 60's and 70's it took tons of power to make music and people tried to make it sound loud in the next room.

But a HT system is different. You surround yourself with an array of 5 speakers all pointing at a few seats. You dont need megawatts of power, just good, clean 80-150 wpc RMS.

It gets better. The real power-hungry speaker is the subwoofer. You can get many good self-powered subwoofers which usually leaves lots of power for the other speakers even with a modest reciever.

My favorite starter system recomendation is this:

- Get a name-brand reciever (Yamaha, Dennon, Kenwood are my favorites) with about 80-100 watts per channel.

- Get a matched set of small, monitor style speakers.

- Get a better-than-average subwoofer (www.svswoofers.com are a local favorite)

And this can give you a outstanding HT experience without costing too much.

SPEAKER AUDITIONS:

This is a fun thing to do. Take a favorite DVD and a favorite CD with you to stores and listen. Most speakers will sound good with the DVD, so use the CD to pick your favorite speakers.

Speakers can run 300 to $5,000. The difference is usually 'Accuracy'. This is highly prized for serious music listening.

Music speakers and sound is very different from HT for the following reasons:

- HT sound is highly compressed compared to a CD.

- HT sound is largely artificial. Highly accurate speakers dont really help.

- HT sound does not tend to drive all 5 speakers all the time unlike music so it's kind of a waste to buy highly accurate rear speakers for 20% of a movie.

So dont snear at sets of small, less-expensive speakers. Many people have put together HT systems for $300-$800 and have great sounding systems.

Then - ask your questions here or in the Recievers or speakers fourm.

One caution: newbies always ask: "Which of these 2 speakers AAA or BBB are better?". Try to avoid this. You see - speakers have 'flavor' just like brands of beer or ice-cream. If I lined these up in "best->worst" order, my order would be different than everybody elses. And nobody would really be 'right'. It's a matter of taste. Do your own auditions with a Movie and Music you are familar with. This will give you the best chance towards HT happiness.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit! [​IMG]

3. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Shop, and demo within your budget. It can be very Anti-Inspiring to listen to "GOOD" inexpensive (within your budget) speakers, after listening to "GREAT" (definitely NOT in your budget ) $10,000 Martin Logan's at a speciality store.

If you don't want to spend beyond your budget, don't shop beyond it.

Having said that, I love to listen (and DREAM)!