What's new

Help a kid on a budget? (1 Viewer)

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, you guys have been really helpful, so of course I have another question. I recently got a Trinitron Wega, 32" and I'm really enjoying it. For sound, I'm using this. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buynovel...ns299watw.html with the addition of a JBL PB10. The center is pretty weak, but there isn't much else I can do. I'm a full time student so I really can't afford to buy a real reciever plus 5 speakers! Anyway, my question is this... For around $500, is it possible to get a DD/DTS receiver and 5 speakers (I'll hold on to this sub, its pretty good) that will make a real improvement over this Aiwa crap? My bedroom is like 12x20, so I don't need a whole lot of power, but I'm really starting to envy you people with your B&Ws and Martin Logans and what not... Any suggestions?
[Edited last by Joe Greca on September 02, 2001 at 01:43 AM]

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I highly recommend the kenwood HTiB...
IMHO kenwoods have great bang-for-the-buck, although the speakers i demoed in last years 503 HTiB seemed too harsh and bright, the reciever and the sub in the package is great... But you can live with the speakers, its not that horrible...
I have a kenwood VR-407, with DD/DTS, 100W/CH, 5 Svideo inputs, 4 digital inputs, and i got it for $243 about half a year ago... IMHO its a great deal for the stuff it provides...
The new Kenwoods look even MORE promising... With DPL2, and all the extras, its a great package...
see my HT with the kenwood, from a fellow kid (15 year old): http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
[Edited last by NickSo on September 02, 2001 at 12:22 AM]
[Edited last by NickSo on September 02, 2001 at 12:43 AM]

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check out the Kenwood, the only thing is I already have a pretty good sub I just got about 8 months ago, so since I'm on a tight budget I'd rather spend the money on the speakers or the receiver rather than another sub. I was looking at the Energy Take 5.2s... I know they're a respectable name but if I got them I wouldn't be able to swing a receiver...

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Sean, the HTB504 is amazing for the price. The Onkyo HTS490 is at abtelectronics.com for $396. You could always sell the HTB sub.

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Circuit City to check out this Kenwood system. It looks all right, I just don't know if it will make enough of a difference. I understand its a great value, but is it actually good? Should I just keep my money until I'm ready to go big, or is the 504 really going to change the experience for me? Thanks for all the help by the way...

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm w/ Sean....consider the Kenwood HTB and run both subs! If not, hit up ebay for a refurbished Link Removed or onecall.com's 575x stock ($296) (do a search) and combine w/ Velodyne 5-piece or JBL 5-piece for $250 or $280 respectively.
Here's a nice article about the Link Removed
I also know for a fact that Circuit City has Polk RT10 bookshelf speakers for $40/ea. food for thought!
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Equipment List
The Dorm Room Theater

[Edited last by Chuck C on September 02, 2001 at 05:12 PM]
[Edited last by Chuck C on September 02, 2001 at 09:13 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks