What's new

Help a dummy........ (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
dts 96/24 is a new format that has not been widely adopted yet but provides you 6 channels of uncompressed 96khz/24bit audio which is studio quality hence letting you hear it exactly as it was recorded with absolutely no compression. I'd imagine it sounds fantastic but have yet to see any content besides a queen album encoded in it.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
All DTS material is compressed. DTS-96/24 simply adds additional data in a metatrack to allow wider frequency and dynamic range for those DTS chips that can access the new data.

Marty

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
DTS-96/24 is completely a different codec from DTS you cant just add data to make it an uncompressed signal it has to be a completely different stream/codec.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
Well, here's some info from DTS's online FAQ that helps clarify what Marty was saying (see item 9 in particular):

8. What is 96/24?
More recording is being done at a 96kHz sampling rate and at 24 bits. DTS has always had 24-bit capability, and DTS 96/24 adds the 96kHz capability. It is fully compatible with existing DTS decoders, which will output 96/24 tracks at 48kHz. DTS 96/24 is the only system that:
  • provides 5.1 channels of 96/24 along with full-motion video on DVD-Video and DVD-Audio (video zone),
  • is compatible with all DVD-Video players, and
  • is accessible through the digital output.

9. How Does 96/24 Work?
The DTS coding system has a “core + extension” structure. The “core” represents the DTS data as has been known since the first home decoders. The “extension” can carry data for future applications or enhancements of any sort. All DTS decoders recognize and use the core data. Basic decoders ignore the extension data, while advanced decoders can make use of it. This allows for full backward compatibility for any scheme using the extension. DTS has recently used the extension field for two purposes. In the first case, it has been used to carry an additional channel for 6.1 dis-crete. In the second case, the extension field carries the additional spectral data added by 96-kHz sampling. For a program in DTS 96/24, existing decoders read the core at 48-kHz and reproduce the standard spectrum. DTS 96/24 decoders read both core and extension and reproduce the extended spectrum. The data rate for 96/24 is 1.536Mbit/s, the higher of the two DTS rates presently used. While numerically this might suggest twice as much compression, there is in fact negligible additional compression on the core data. This is because there is relatively little information in the range 24-48kHz, so it can be coded very compactly. The 96/24 stream passes through the S/PDIF just as standard DTS does.
So the normal section of a DTS 96/24 track is "native" 48/24 DTS, with the extension space carrying additional information to provide 96/24 output. Still compressed, though.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer Elite 43TX, 45TX, 47TX, and 49TX will all decode DTS 96/24. As near as I can tell, the Sony 4ES can also decode DTS 96/24.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well as Marty was so nice enough to email me about I was completly wrong and I apologize I will admit when I make mistakes but I will say this that DTS 96/24 doesn't really seem to be worth it if its still compressed vs. dvd-a or SACD which are not, I will say yeah I'm sure it sounds better than plain old DTS but it seems kind of a sham to claim something it really cannot be yes you can compress 96/24 signals but then you're just taking away what you put in in reality. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks