What's new

Help a college student build a sub $1000 home theatre (1 Viewer)

rntaboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ren Bergmann
I'm looking to set-up a home theatre in the bedroom of my college apartment. I'm not looking for a long-term solution that I can carry with me for years, just the two years until I graduate. I plan on mostly gaming and watching movies on the system. I won't be listening to any music on it, but I would like to watch concert DVD's on it (Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Rage Against the Machine), so take from that what you will.
The room is around 11x10.
I have a Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 that I want to connect to the system with HDMI and optical cables.
Now here is the catch, I would like to spend under $1000, including cables.

So far I have been able to cobble together this as an idea so far:
Samsung LN32A450 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV
Amazon.com: Samsung LN32A450 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV: Electronics

and

Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1 Channel Home Entertainment System (Set of Seven, Black)
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1 Channel Home Entertainment System (Set of Seven, Black): Electronics

Any suggestions?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty good option you've listed for a sub-$1000 setup. You might also take a look at the 42" Panasonic plasmas. On Black Friday they had one 42" model running at $699 . . . I believe it is still available for under $800.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like the TV. I just got a 37" Vizio for my bedroon for $580, but the picture on the Samsungs are better. So since you'll be fairly close to this set I think going for quality is the right choice.

I don't like the reveiver. It's not that cheap and it has a passive subwooofer. Plus it only has component switching (no HDMI) if the specs on Amazon are correct (I didn't look beyond the link). I did a quick search on the major sites not looking for sales but just ballpark comparisons. Interstingly, I didn't find much. I'm guessing that these low-priced systems are in demand for Christmas; so you might want to wait for after the holidays. But here's one that was pretty close: Yamaha - 600W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System - YHT-390BL

I do like Onkyo's though, just not that one. If you have access to Costco you might try them. There was nothing on the .com site, but the stores have different stock.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like the receiver. It doesn't have HDMI, but free goes a long way! (It's a good receiver though, you can do without HDMI for a while.)

Unfortunately, I have to be negative again. I have those exact speakers. I got them on a lark for my mini theater in my computer room mostly because they were very inexpensive. And I don't like them very much. The sub is okay, but the satelites are lifeless and drab. Of course, sound is subjective, so try and listen to them if you can. On the plus side, they are cheap. I have a set of Harman/Kardons for my main system and I really love them. (~$600 a few years back.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks