Help a brotha out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSchmidt, Oct 2, 2002.

1. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

I made a similar topic like this in the TV forum, but I wanted a good solid opinion from people who play games a lot. No doubt some of you play games on RPTVs (rear projection) that are HD compatable. I'm thinking of getting a 42" samsung HDTV that's a rear projector, but I hear that playin games a lot can screw up RPTVs and cause burn in. What do you guys think (from experience)? And if you guys don't use RPTVs for gaming in high definition, what do you use (keep in mind I want a widscreen 16:9 tv)?

THANKS!

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Nick;

Don't worry about it. Keep your contrast settings low and don't let a static image (i.e. and overhead display) stay on your television for hours and hours on end. If you are careful, there is no reason you should have to worry about burn-in with video games.

I should know. I've been using a Toshiba RPTV for the past year for games, and I have yet to see a problem with burn-in. Just be smart about how you use your TV and you will be okay.

3. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

So in other words I should go for it? [​IMG]

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Yes. I did 2 weeks ago...and I'm very[​IMG].

5. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

One more quick question. Some games run in 480p but not 16:9 widescreen. That means they'd run in 4:3. And since people tell me to run every signal in stretch mode if its not inherintly widescreen to avoid burn in from the vertical bars on the side, would that squish games that run in 4:3? A good example would be Super Mario Sunshine. The game runs in 480p, but not widescreen. That means I'd have to use the stretch mode. Wouldn't it make everything squishy and then make Mario even SHORTER and even FATTER? I think that would look worse...

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Nick;

To be honest with you, I believe most people worry about burn-in to a degree of absurdity. Yes, you can burn in an image to the CRTs if you leave a static image on the screen for a very long time. However, as long as you keep your contrast levels low (that is, properly calibrated with a DVD like Avia or Video Essentials) and don't leave a video game paused all day long with the TV still on, you have no reason to worry about burn it at all.

Furthermore, I don't care what anyone else says, play your games in the proper aspect ratio. Don't use a stretch mode if you don't want to. All 16:9 RPTVs will offer a 4:3 mode for non-widescreen material that will display the image in the center and vertical grey bars on the side. Some people will tell you that these bars can cause burn-in as well. Don't listen to them. The bars are there to prevent uneven burn-in of the CRTs.

You see, whenever you watch something on your TV, you're causing burn-in to some degree. The CRTs only have so much life in them before they run out of juice. Now, when you watch a film in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, there will be black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (as you no doubt know). The black areas don't burn in as much as the part of the screen which is displaying an image. If you watched nothing but 2.35:1 aspect ratio material, eventually you'll notice that the top and bottom of the screen look uneven in terms of brightness to the rest of the picture. The gray bars on your TV will prevent this from happening.

Enjoy your games the way they were meant to be seen. A lot of effort went into producing pretty graphics in these games. Don't ruin it by making Mario all squishy.