1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! 8" or 10" sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I am putting the final touch on my HT system-a sub. I'm not looking to rattle the knickknacks or crack plaster. I just want to fill out the bottom end of my system, which is:
    fronts: Paradigm Studio 40s
    rears: Paradigm Mini Monitors
    center: Studio CC
    receiver: Onkyo 696
    I live in an apartment (top floor), so I have to be careful about my neighbors. I can get complaints from the downstairs neighbor sans sub. The room size is approximately 12' x 17'.
    So my dilemma is, do I go with 8" or 10" sub? I really like the Energy exL10. The Energy S8.2 (a brand-spanking new design) is also decent. Others I'm looking at are the Velodyne CT80 and CT100. I use my system for 50% music and 50% HT.
    Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I agree with Sean's recommendation to go with a 10". I would add that from my experience, there is a night and day difference between the CT-80 and the CT-100. I happen to own the CT-120 and before that the CT-100 which is very, very good IMO.
    A friend of mine recently returned the CT-80 because of it's lack of oomph....he has since gotten the Sony SAWM-40 and is very satisfied with it.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------

3. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I would also look at the Velodyne CT-150, CT-120,
    CT-100 There are much better than the Energy IMHO.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

CT-100

5. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Definitely a Velo!!

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Here is a bit of a different option: but a used sub from the HTF subwoofer classifieds.
    Here is a sample of what is currently listed:
    - Mirage BPS-100i ($200+)
    - Def Tech ProSub 200tl ($325+)
    - Paradigm PS1200 ($395+)
    Any of these subs would do a great job in your room with your system, at levels that won't bring in the police.
    Of course, I have no personal knowledge of the condition of any of the subs, but I have bought many many items as used from HTF members, and I have never been disappointed.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Ahh,come on,just do it right the first time.Get a 12" from say...SVS
    ------------------

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for you input, guys. Guess I'll be doing some more sub shopping today. I must add that I might be able to get the Energy marked down $110, which makes it look mighty attractive. Maybe I'll check out the Paradigms again, too. Trying to find a Velo ct100 in stock.
    *sigh* So many choices, so little time (and money)!
    Sean: Thanks. Beats the heck out or my Kenwood separates and Bose 201s I had for 15 years!
    Chad: LOL! I'd love to get an SVS, someday. I actually had a dream the other night that I ordered one. I'm dreaming about subs. Isn't that sad? ;-)

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Personally I don't feel the inchage [​IMG] is that important, it's how the sub is designed. That said, there is no substitute for volume - internal volume of the sub that is, not volume of sound - to make it dig deep, from everything I have heard about the topic.
    I had a swedish-made sub with two 6.5 inch drivers and it wasn't half bad.
    Just get what you think sounds best, would be my opinion. The neighbours will be peeved no matter what you get - bass tends to make its way through a building no matter what you try.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

10. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I'm now the proud owner of a new Velodyne CT100 sub. I called a local hi-fi shop and they wanted $499 new and $375 B-stock. *gulp* Circuit City had it new for $329, so I grabbed their last one. And I can upgrade it for a bigger one within a year, paying only the difference. :-D
    I hooked it up for a quick test spin and the music sounded good, but DVDs sounded great. Terminator 2 is awesome. And I must thank my downstairs neighbor for leaving for the afternoon. Now I can play!
    Thanks again for all you input! I'm sure I'll have more questions, as I have a severe case of upgraditis. Maybe an external amp is next. Hmmmmm...

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor