What's new

Help: 4ohm Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
A freind of a friend wants to buy a JVC Receiver & he can't be talked out of it but he can only afford the RX-8020 or the new RX-8030 & he really wants the 8030 but he is affraid that it won't be able to handle his 4ohm speakers (I'm told they are Big 4ohm Towers) but the 8020 can & has that 4ohm/8ohm switch on the back. JVC Rates the 8020 at 100 watts X 5 & the 8030 at 130 watts X 6
Do you think the 8030 would be able to handle a 4ohm load?
What if he din't use the 6th back channel would that make any difference? Thanks

I've also noticed that Most lowered priced receivers, besides Panasonic, can no longer handle 4ohm loads?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
John, Any thoughts on the 8030 without the switch? Because that's the model he really wants.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
4 ohm tower speakers? Are these really nice speakers, or big old "DJ Towers?"

I don't think there is a low-end receiver out there that will do 4 ohms, period.

I have a Kenwood VR-409. It's a fairly low-end unit. It's rated at 8 ohms only. My new speakers are 6 ohms. The receiver will most probably handle it at low volumes, but will most probably "let it's smoke out" at higher volumes.

I'm undecided whether to get external power amps (or amp) or get a new receiver that'll handle the 6 ohm load. :frowning:

I think your friend needs new speakers...or a higher budget for a receiver. ;)

Jay McC

Agent
Tell your friend to get an Onkyo. The TX-SR601 is less than $500 and it WILL run 4 ohm speakers. I've had an Onkyo running 4 ohm Cerwin Vega towers for the past 8 years and its still going strong.

If he wants to be bull headed about getting reciever that makes no claim at being able to run such an ohm load then make sure the store has a good return policy because he might need it.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
I have A Panasonic HE-100 (certainly low end, but it has a 4/8 ohm switch and it handles my big old AR-3's just fine. I bet the 8030 will handle 4 ohm speakers as well.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From what I understand this guys boss gave him some kind of tower speakers that are only a couple of years old & cost around $3,000 I told my friend to tell him to save up for a better receiver but I guess this guy is stuck on low-priced JVC receivers for some reason & can't afford much else. Still looking for an answer on the 8030 vs the 8020 with the 4/8ohm switch? Anybody know for sure if the 8030 will handle a 4ohm load? My first thought too was go with one of the Panasonics & my friend told me it just had to be one of the JVC's & he wanted to print this thread out to show to his friend. My other thinking was to sell the towers & buy some other nice gear but he doesn't want to part with the Speakers. Thanks Again.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have a Denon 5800/03 at 170wperch thxultra2 and it will run SOME 4OHM speakers. His 4ohm switch may channel all the power to the front 2 channels, so if it says stereo mode in the manual it would make sense, otherwise I think he will be dsappointed if he tries to run 5 4ohm peakers at lets say 87db sensitivity.

I use Totem model 1's but if I went to Mani2's I would need more ampliication.
Peter m.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From what I got out of it was that he was going to use the Tower Speakers for Front Left & Right speakers & buy some cheap 8ohm speakers for the Center & Surrounds (No Rear Center Speaker).I just hate to see the guy maybe destroy $3,000 Speakers with a $300 Receiver.

BruceD

Screenwriter
IMO, caution is probably warranted to protect the speakers. Problems may not crop up immediately, but I certainly know from experience (AR-3A 4 Ohm speakers) that separate amps or a receiver not designed to handle the higher current required for 4 Ohm speakers (4 Ohm speakers draw more current from the amps versus 8 Ohm speakers for the same volume).

I fried the tweeters in those AR-3A speakers (over a year) with a Yamaha receiver that didn't handle 4 Ohm speakers adequately.

You need to realize that many 4 Ohm rated speakers may even dip as low as 2 Ohms over part of their frequency range. This causes many receivers to clip (even though you may not actually hear it) and destroy speakers over time.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Your absolutely right. I didn't plug in my Totems until I had it in writing that the 5800/03 could handel 4ohm speakers, but regardless of possible damage, lack of proper sonic resolution will be the most diappointing result.

Peter m.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
What does a 4/8 ohm switch do? Why would there be any need for such a switch if the amplifiers can handle lower impedences? All I can think of is that such a switch either adds a resistance to make the load more tolerable (not a good idea - it becomes part of the load and screws up frequency response) or that something is rerouted so that the amplifers can produce more current, probably at the expense of voltage, and, thus, maximum power output.

Be aware - some standalone power amplifiers are also wusses when it comes to lower impedances.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
It sounds like the funnel effect, "I'm creating a new audiophile term meaning all power is taken from everywhere in the amp section and funnelled to a spot where it can drive 2 very small 4ohm speakers"

Aside from that It might be hazordous.

Peter m

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The photo from the Crutchfield site shows no high current/high power switch for 4 ohm usage like my RX-9010 features.
RX-8030 V
It also states around the speaker jacks to use 8-16 ohms.

I would doubt that they built it to handle 4 ohms at high volume.

Dennis

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the 4/8 ohm switch lowers the rail voltage for 4 ohm use, which also lowers the total available current. Don't assume that a unit with a 4/8 ohm switch will protect power hungry speakers, when they are driven hard. The switch will not prevent clipping. It will prevent premature shutdown of the receiver.

If he is hung-up on JVC, I hope it has preouts, and he can purchase a used two channel amp for $200-$400. Otherwise, if he pushes it too hard, you might have the opportunity to get some good tower speakers, that only need a tweeter replacement.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks