Help! 3802/2800 or 898/RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_D, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I've made mind up ...... about a thousand times. [​IMG] Please throw some opinions at me. I have narrowed my choice down to the Denon 3802/2800 combo or the Onkyo 898 and a Panasonice RP91. The price for both combos is about the same and is not a issue for me. My experience with receivers over the past 10+ years is as follows: Kenwood, Sony & Denon. I like the Denon sound and performance but their stuff is sort of ..... ugly. Why pair up a nice progressive looking and playing DVD player with the Denon. Ugly deserves Ugly. Help![​IMG]

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    My vote goes to Onkyo and the RP91. They perform equally or better than the Denons and they look ALOT better(IMHO of course).

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i like the RP91 over the 2800. i cant say anything about the receivers based on personal experience, so i'll leave that to someone else.

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I've got the 3802/RP91 combo and have been extremely satisfied with it's performance!

5. Luciano Pires

I’ve got the 3802/2800 combinations and I’m very satisfied with it. Before I bought it though I did have in mind the 3802/RP91 combo.
    At the time I heard great reviews on both DVD players. The 2800 is slightly more expensive than the RP91.
    When I purchased the 3802 they had the 2800 in stock and it was going to take at least over a month to get the RP91 in black. I wanted to keep all equipment the same color (WAF)and of course I had the HT itch (I couldn't wait any longer).
    If you have a chance, demo both players side to side with the same receiver. But in the end, it comes down to what do you like.
    Good luck on your decision. I think you can't go wrong with either of them.
    LP
    Equipment List
    65” Proscan HDTV
    Denon AVR3802 – Receiver
    Denon DVD2800 – DVD player
    Paradigm Monitor 7’s – Mains
    Paradigm Monitor CC370 – Center
    Paradigm ADP170’s – Surrounds
    Polk PSW300 – Sub
    X-10 Lighting controlled

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Bill,

I just outfitted my neighbor with a Denon 3802 receiver and Panasonic RP91. They both rock! DTS-ES Discrete is da bomb (at least for now).

Get them on the internet for the best price. If you buy from a reputable place don't worry about what Denon says about non-authorized dealers.

Dan