Help!! 16:9 or 4:3 for sports..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Sep 2, 2001.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Looking to get a new Toshiba rptv before the start of hockey and football season. My viewing will consist of about 80% sports and cable and 20% DVD...Having a tough time deciding between the 50h81 and the 50h71(4:3 squeeze).
    I would like to know from the widescreen owners out there, especially Tosh owners just how stretch modes are for sports...Does the game clock/score in the corner get cropped out? Do the players look fat on the edges?? Is it irratating or acceptable?
    Would like to believe 16:9 format for pro sports is around the corner, and maybe it is for some national stuff but it seems to me local games (Wings and Lions for me) have a long way till there in 16:9...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get something real soon here...Thanks!!!

2. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I own two Toshiba 16:9 tv's, the old tw40f80 and the new 57h81. On both, you lose something by going to the stretch modes (any of the theaterwide modes) for sports. Mode 1 avoids any cropping top or bottom, but the sides *are* noticeably stretched side-to-side. It is enough to cause distortions in how you view football, tennis, and basketball.
    Mode 2 avoids this side-to-side stretching, but there is considerable top-bottom cropping. For football, this isn't really a problem because the game action is side-to-side, but yes, the running scoreboards in the top corner get cropped in half, as does stuff along the bottom. Sure, you can use the "picture scroll" option to adjust this, but if you do it to ensure that all the top stuff stays in the picture, the tradeoff is more cropping off the bottom and vice versa. The bottom line is that for someone used to watching sports in 4:3, these theater modes will be irritating when watching sports, or at least they are to me.
    Basically, i watch sports in the 4:3 mode. That makes for a small screen on the 40", but on the 57" the 4:3 picture is equal in size to a 47" 4:3 tv. So that's fine for me.
    BUT, i watch little sports on my tv's - they are basically for DVD watching. If i was like you and was planning on watching lots of sports, i'd definitely get a *big* (at least 55" and preferably 61") 4:3 tv that has 16:9 enhancement (with 3/2 pulldown) for watching DVD. That way i'd get the best of both worlds. But of course, this means i *don't* mind having the big black bars on the top and bottom for DVD watching. If that really bothers you, well then...

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Mike-
    Where were you planning on getting the 50h81? I work out in the Canton area and am planing on picking up one myself. I have looked at BB on Hagerty at 8, they were asking 2399 for it.

4. MikePeroni

Steve, thanks for the honest opinion. Seems to me the new xxh71 line is the way to go for sports viewing...Just wondering, is there more screen space from a 50" 16:9 in 4:3 mode or a 50" 4:3 in 16:9 mode?? Chris, Best Buy blows! Dont buy anything there unless you like to throw money away. Went to Sears at Westland mall and they said price matching from internet companys is no problem (Its on the net for $2075) Also ABC Warehouse might even go lower than that. -Mike

5. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

My 50H81 will be on the truck tomorrow, bought it from onecall.com, $2249 w/free shippin. I'm sure at least $200 of that (from Washington to Alabama) will go to the trucker, so I think it was a good deal.

6. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Mike,
    A 50" 4:3 tv in 16:9 mode gives a bigger viewing area. It provides 900 sq. inches of viewing (equal to a 46" 16:9 tv viewed in 16:9 mode), compared with 802 sq. inches of viewing space for a 50" 16:9 tv in 4:3 mode (which is equal to a 47" 4:3 tv in 4:3 mode).
    Here's a link that does these calculations between 16:9 and 4:3 for you:
    http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

7. Mike Doughty

Mike Doughty Auditioning

Hey MikePeroni, funny you should mention this, because I just bought a 50H81 from the Sears at Westland mall just this morning. It's being delivered Friday. I pricematched it with continentaltrade.com for $2095 just fine.

8. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Auditioning

I agree with Steve. Go with 4:3 if you watch mostly sports, cable, or sat. You'll still get a big enough 16:9 picture to enjoy HD and DVD.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Steve Jaros wrote:
    "A 50" 4:3 tv in 16:9 mode gives a bigger viewing area. It provides 900 sq. inches of viewing (equal to a 46" 16:9 tv viewed in 16:9 mode), compared with 802 sq. inches of viewing space for a 50" 16:9 tv in 4:3 mode (which is equal to a 47" 4:3 tv in 4:3 mode)."
    ------------
    Actually, a 50" 16:9 TV would only be equal to a 41" 4:3 TV, not 47", when viewing in 4:3 mode.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Mike,
    You may want to check out Walter's Home Appliance on Michigan Avenue in Canton for a Toshiba. They were considerably cheaper than Best Buy when I purchased my 56H80 last December, but I did have an inside contact.
    As for sports on a 16x9 set, most of my TV viewing is sports related. I have no problem with the stretch (TheaterWide 1) mode for football, NHL hockey and college basketball. The distorted picture does bother me a little for golf, though -- the fairways and greens look too wide.
    I just added a HDTV set top box a few weeks ago, and I have watched a couple of over-the-air football broadcasts in DTV from the local ABC affiliate. They are 480i broadcasts upconverted, but the picture quality is outstanding compared to CATV. All the local affiliates windowbox (black side bars) their upconverted 480i material, so I ended up watching the Michigan - Miami of Ohio game in 4x3 windowboxed mode.
    One thing to keep in mind if you are a football fan -- CBS will be broadcasting a college football game each Saturday this fall in 16x9 HDTV. They will probably also show a few late season and AFC playoff games in 16x9 HDTV.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

11. MikePeroni

Update: Went to ABC warehouse tonight armed with a VHS tape of a Wings game. First try was the 50h81. Keeping a close eye on the game clock in the upper left corner and the stats along the bottom, heres what I thought... Theaterwide 1 was probably the best. Clock and score were still in the picture(barely)and the stretch on the edges wasnt bad at all. Theaterwide 2 cut clock in half and also cropped out some info on the bottom. Theaterwide 3 - goodbye scoreboard and time clock!! Full mode, everyone looked definetly stretched...Normal mode, didnt like the grey bars. Now onto a 53" 4:3 Hitachi(they didnt have the new Toshiba 4:3s yet). Ice surface appeared much broader as if the camera-man had backed up 30 feet. You could see the top of the rink glass at the bottom, more of boards, ect.. It seemed to me that all the modes on the 50h81 were defintely zoomed. However, Theaterwide 1 was pretty good. I just think the serious fan will surely miss some of field... Also ABC said they would beat Continentals price of $1975 + free shipping (53h71). So I think if I can score this set for $1900 out the door w/tax, its a great deal... Thanks, Mike