What's new

HELP, $1350.00 Budget for HT system (no TV) (1 Viewer)

Carl333

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl
Hi. An extreme newbie to sound/audio/HD/HT etc….

Appreciate all the audio/videophiles that post comments in this great forum. I've never had to frequent such a forum until now. Just trying to read and get educated to make some informed decisions.

Just purchased a Panny plasma with 2 HDMI inputs. I’ll used these for my 2 video sources HD set top box and DVD player. I was initially looking for a HTIB (I know, I know…) so just getting into the system builder mode.

Budget-$1500. CDN which is equiv. to approx. 1350.00US. The problem is that your buddies north of the border can’t get the same deals as my friends south of the border.

Receiver- surround sound definitely interests me. 5.1 min. with potential upgrade to 7.1 would be nice. THX would be nice. Any recommendations in the $300-$500 range ?

Speakers- Sub woofer- After reading some forums posts here, this sounds like a pretty important speaker. Recommendations ? Main speakers, center channel, rear speakers. Should I but a complete set from 1 mfger. as a package or buy separate from several? I have no idea how to suitably match speakers with a receiver. Recommendations?

I know some may say don’t go out on the cheap with speakers and spend as much as you could afford now and add additional speakers later. Problem is, I want it and I want it now and within budget give or take. Am I looking for trouble and will end up looking for an early upgrade? Is my budget too restrictive? My room is relatively small so I don't need a lot of power.

Tks for your input. Much appreciated.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Here's what I would purchase within your budget:

HSU Ventriloquist VT-12: $400
HSU STF-2 Subwoofer: $550
Yamaha RX-V659: $650

Total: CAD$1,600

This will provide you with a capable subwoofer and receiver, and very good satellite speakers. You may wish to build on the speakers over time as budget permits. For instance purchasing two bookshelf speakers in the future, then eventually a new centre channel and surrounds.

Enjoy!

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
HSU Ventriloquist VT-12: $199
HSU STF-2 Subwoofer: $319.00

Price correction

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The prices I quoted above are from the Canadian distributor: http://www.hi-fidelity.com/DVDCases.htm

HSU does not sell directly to Canada, they will only sell through their distributor.. The prices haven't been updated to reflect our strong Canadian dollar, so we're still paying an arm and a leg :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks