Hell's Kitchen Season 2 (June 2006)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Aaron Silverman, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Anyone watching this one? I find it pretty entertaining. Just waiting for someone to snap and start screaming at Chef Ramsey. [​IMG]

There is one thing I've been wondering about. . .when they open the restaurant, and all of the contestants are busily working in the kitchen, and customers are waiting 2-3 hours for food to show up, what the heck is going on? They SEEM to be working, but nothing is getting finished. Is Ramsey just throwing out stuff that isn't up to par?

I asked my wife, who used to own a restaurant, and the only explanation she could think of is that maybe they don't prepare anything beforehand. (Normally, before dinner begins at a restaurant, the kitchen staff gets all the ingredients ready, cuts the vegetables, etc.).

2. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

I liked this show last season and tuned in last night too see how it fares.

The contestants this season look like "Big Brother" house rejects. It is men against women this season and both sexes will not improve their standing with each other. The women all seem like foul mouthed, chain smokers who whine and complain about everything. They also all did not miss their bikini shots in the reward last night and several are no strangers to the plastic surgeon. The men all look like overweight, Dateline predators who have not missed many meals or a chance to save on antiperspirant costs. Chef Ramsey is again at his angry best and almost seemed antsy trying to be nice for a minutes on the boat during the girls reward.

The restaurant "guests" still are amateur actors who give mediocre performances of the "upset guest". They know what they are in for when they go on stage and I suspect the time lags are due to much editing, scripting and story lining. It is probably biled as a "Tina and Tony's wedding" type of event before hand.

Still like the show however, even though it seems a lot more smarmy this season and the network censors must have worn their fingers to the bone at the editing desk.

3. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    So far, none of the contestants look like they should win.

I do not like the Men v Women things. It shouldn't be about the sexes, it should be about the skill.

I hate it when women play the "we have it so much tougher" card when they get into an argument. That woman that burned her hand last week was crying like a little baby, then this week she is making these big bully type statements like she was going to beat the crap out of the guy who pissed them off. Geesh. She fell right into the trap. He was deliberatly trying to provoke them because of the way they were flaunting thier reward. It worked beautifully. She came across really bad. Good for him [​IMG]

I don't see how anyone would allow themselves to be treated the way Gordon treats them. It makes no sense to call someone a fat pig, or a donkey. How does that make them a better chef? He should spend more time training them and helping them, and less time taking cheep shots at the way someone looks.

Even after all I just posted. I like the show [​IMG]

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

When one of them was like "we're gonna prove that women are just as good as men," my first reaction was "yeah, in the kitchen!!!" [​IMG] Priceless!!!

5. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

I'm just waiting for the day somebody blows their lid and yells at Ramsey.. it's bound to happen, isn't it?

6. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    Someone probably already has yelled at Ramsey....they do edit the show.

7. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I enjoy this show a lot. I just like the abuse all these people take.

So the people waiting for their dinner...do you guys think they're real people? If so, do you think they're told in advance that this is for a TV show or do they honestly believe in a real restaurant?

By the way, Chuck B, your signature is pretty funny. Is that from a movie?

8. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Love this show. Completely horrible, the abuse from Ramsey and the contestants treatment of each other, but amusing to watch.

Missed this week's episode, but with their repeat cycle will catch up next Monday.

I'm not sure what to think about the "customers". Even if dinner and drinks were free, there's no way I'd sit around for 2-3 hours, bored to death waiting for service.

If these were students, still learning the basics from a culinary school I could understand and I'd be a lot more tolerant. But this is supposedly a "professional" restaurant. Sure they're testing out new chefs, but to have Ramsey come out after 3 hours and announce to all the "customers" that the kitchen is closed, they screwed up, good night.... I don't think so. Very few people would tolerate that.

I'm guessing most of the "customers" are probably Hollywood extras, all being paid. Some of them actually getting "lines" and getting paid a little more.

Makes for good entertainment, but probably a lot of creative editing and manipulation like Survivor. If the "customers" are real, not sure what they're getting out of it. Maybe a brief flash on National TV like those goofy idiots waving their signs on the Today Show?

9. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

I think you underestimate the public's tolerance for pain for the remote chance to be on national TV, if even for a split second. There are staduims of them standing inthe rain each year for American Idol alone.

10. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I feel the customers are fully aware of what they are getting into. After all, the place is called "Hells Kitchen" on the outside.

Some of the jerky customers are clearly just hamming it up for the camera. Like that dweeb who complained that he didn't get any pumpkin seeds in his food. He "wanted to see the chef". I mean, who ever really does that? He just wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

I am sure the customers do not pay for the meal. They are volunteers that are told to show up at a certain time. Doesnt it seem weird that all the customers hit at once?

11. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

With Chef Ramsey, all he is going to get is 15 minutes of flame ;-)

12. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Anybody still watching this show?

The finale should be interesting, when they bring back the previous contestants for the finalists.

My pick would be Heather, although I sense that Virginia will win, because Gordon seems to favor her a lot.

13. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I can only hope it is just the editing that makes Virginia seem much worse than Heather. I really don't think Gordon would chose Virginia to run the Las Vegas place unless he really thinks she is capable. I can only assume that he uses the head on his shoulders to make the decision, not the other one. lol

Heather always looks like she is ready to burst into tears. I don't think she really is, but she has that look some times when Gordon is criticizing her.

I am just glad Sara is gone.

14. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    I'm still watching it....but missed yesterday's show due to a local baseball game. What happened to Keith? It looked like he and Heather would be in the finals, as Virginia was always just placed on vegies and seems spacy....

Also - I'm suspecting something like the first round - where the winner never got the restaurant, but got to go to the Chefs school for free...

15. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Keith and Virginia were the two up for getting the boot. Gordon send Keith home mainly because of his attitude. I think Keith is a much better Chef than Virginia, but he is too "gangsta wannabe" for the job.

So Virginia and Heather are the two finalists.

16. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I actually caught the show yesterday, but hadn't watched it in a long time.

Keith was acting like a schmuck, but his comment upon being fired (it went something like "you fired me 'cause you have a boner for Virginia!") was classic!

I think he fired Keith because Keith had a bad attitude *and* he has a boner for Virginia, and I don't blame him for either one. [​IMG]

17. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

I think this show is heavily influenced by editing, even when compared to other reality shows. This show theme and format needs heros and villans due to its simple premise. That requires a deft hand at editing and creating characters that fall into the standard drama book. I am not saying the winner is pre-determined, but this show seems to almost walk a script the way each episode carefully sets up each event and reinforced ones view of each chief. I still like it however, even knowing the restaurant, patrons and situations are as unreal as reality TV can get.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Do you think Virginia actually was able to memerize all the dishs from Ramsey's book like Heather/Keith was hypothesizing? She apparently was "spot on" according to ramsey about the dish they had to recreate.... And Ramsey said it was his signature dish so perhaps Virginia could of studied it from the book... Maybe sleuthing on Amazon might clear things up!

Jay

19. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    She won one of his books in one of the challenges...and had him sign it.

20. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    If she was able to memorize all the dishes, that is still just as skilled as being able to reproduce a dish from taste. So either way she deserved that win.

Heather and Keith were just being bitter.

I liked Keith at first, but in the last couple of episodes, I started to dislike his attitude. Although he was probably a better cook than Virginia, I am sort of glad he is gone.