Hello

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jae_P, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

I just purchased a Toshiba 50h71 HDTV. I dont have a clue on how it works. I heard that you need to buy a HDTV receiver. Is this all you need? Once its hooked up will all the channels be in HDTV? Thanks.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

You will need in addition to your set top box an over the air antenna for the local channels that are broadcasting digital in your area and if you want HD channels like HBO HD, Showtime HD or HD net you will need a satellite dish...

No, not all channels will be HD, only the ones broadcasting in HD...Currently CBS and ABC offer just about all their prime time lineup in HD...NBC is doing some HD programming, but your local affiliate has to be passing these HD network feeds thru their digital channel..

3. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hi Jae,
    You need to first determine if OTA (over the air)HD is available, or will be available, in your area before purchasing a HD converter box or antane.
    If not, they your best bet would either be a satellite or your local cable company. Cable companies will provide you with a HD converter, not sure about Satellite.
    OTA signals would require you to purchase an antenae and a HD coverter box (approx. $500).
    If im correct, except for any OTA HD signals that may be in your area, cable and satellite would only have HBO, SHOWTIME, and maybe Pay Per View movies in High Definition.
    Here is what i could find to help you determine if there are any OTA HD stations in your area.
    CLICK
    Good Luck

4. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

Thanks for replying everyone. This is all very new to me so i am still very confused about how HDTV works. I currently have at&t cable service. If i buy a HDTV receiver then i dont need cable anymore right? But if i dont have cable then what channels will i get with the HDTV receiver? Only local channels? What is the antenna for? Are you talking about a regular antenna? Correct me if im wrong; i will only get local channels with the antenna but the HDTV receiver will let me watch channels which sends HDTV signals? Am i right? And what is the satellite all about?? I am such a newb. Sorry about all the questions.

5. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

So the cable company will rent you a HDTV receiver for a fee? Unless you order HBO or showtime the receiver isnt worth it right? Wouldnt it be better to buy a receiver instead of renting one from the cable company? Thanks.

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Your cable company will usually rent you the HD box for the same cost as any other cable set top box they use if your cable company offers HD in your area...