Hello! Newbie LOVES this place & HATE UBID!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick TX, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys & Gals. First post at the HTF. I am really glad I found this place. I've never seen such a board, no flaming like the car audio forum. Now to business! I ordered a pair of Klipsch RP5's from ubid last week for an unreal price of $850 shipped. I hear these at Bjorns in San Antonio last year, but couldn't/wouldn't swing $2000 + tax for them. Needless to say, ubid drew me like a moth to a flame. They are "authorized", according to Klipschs' forum (excellent place). The speakers were NEW, not refurbs or B-stock. LUCKILY I was here when fedex showed up! We opened the boxes (good shape) together. DAMN! The mids were crushed, and the were 3 seperate CHUNKS out of the corners. One chunk was 4X2"! Here's the crappy part. The speakers were NOT damaged in transit, they were obviously shipped that way, as the missing chunks were not in the boxes. BUYER BEWARE! I amazingly got a Human at ubid customer service on the phone & told him I refused the speakers. He said that we will inspect them when they get here & issue a credit to my Amex within 2 weeks! I told him to send me another pair when they recieved mine. He says, "sorry, you need to win another pair." Well, they JACKED the shipping from 1 cent to $367!! Meanwhile, I had listed my Definitive front stage on ebay already, as well as bought the Klipsch RC3II center to match the DISCONTINUED RP5's! Talk about PISSED! Ubid can kiss my @$$! Happily, there is a happy ending to the saga. My wonderful friends at onecall.com had several pairs in stock & were able to get me a pair out for $1046 delivered. Factory sealed & authorized, first class place all the way. Thanks for the rant! Maybe someone can read this before they make the same mistake as I made. [​IMG]

2. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

ubid sent me some obviously defective speakers also. i wont buy from them any more. they did at least pay shipping back to them and refund all my money.

theres so many stories of defective products from ubid that i am pretty sure ubid knows what they're doing. it seems like its just a dumping ground for broken items. i cant imagine how they stay in business.

and yes, i know some people have had great luck at ubid, but that doesnt change the amount of defective merchandise they ship.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks Patrick for your post and welcome to the HTF. I have been looking at the RF-3s with the c-3 or the c-7 and Ubid "was" what I would consider a option until your post. This is not the first negative info I have herd but this will do it for me. Bet those 5s sound great.[​IMG]

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i purchased some infinity speakers off ubid a year or so ago. i first bought a set of sm-65's and got here in great shape, so i also bought a set of sm-255's. when those got here, one had a big dent in the side and the box had been tapped up with new and different tape. i called and told them that the speaker was damaged, and it must be a refurb. they wanted me to send both speakers back and re-win a bid for them again. considering i got them for $86 each, there was no way it was going to happen again (at the time these retailed for over $350 each if i remember correctly). i tested out the speaker that was damaged and it still worked great. i took the largest woofer out and felt inside the cabinet, and it only had a small bump on the inside, so i ended up keeping it. still works fine, but ubid can bite me from now on.

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Can't you dispute the charges with your credit card company?

You didn't get what they told you you would get, so don't pay for it! If they want it back, they can pay for the shipping themselves because it's not your problem.

If it wasn't damaged in transit, then it's an obvious attempt by them to scam the whole (We can sell damaged speakers because 98% people are too lazy/unwilling to do anything about it) unto you... they don't deserve any respect, sock it to 'em.

6. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even accept them from Fedex. As far as my CC is concerned, I'm not worried. Amex takes the customers side automatically. With Ubids track record, I'm sure Amex has already danced with them in the past. The were NOT damaged in shipping BTW. They probably have been returned 10 times.