What's new

Hello, newbie here (1 Viewer)

SoGaRaider

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Usic
Not to get into to much detail but anywhoo. I have a pioneer elite sc-91 and just ran the mcaac setup and now my subwoofer won't play. Any suggestions. Tried resetting and running mcaac again same problem.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check the setting that you didn't configure for "Large" speakers which could turn off the subwoofer. As a rule you want "Small" speakers to have subwoofers used.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If everything is set right there, try turning up the sub level in the receiver’s menu. Possibly the signal is too weak to turn on the sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SoGaRaider

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Usic
Thanks. I had a pretty decent surround system 20 years ago but wife, kids, work ya know. Just now getting back into it and everything is much higher speed and complicated now, gonna have to figure it out
If everything is set right there, try turning up the sub level in the receiver’s menu. Possibly the signal is too weak to turn on the sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
ec

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
An FYI, if you do that and it solves the problem, then you need to turn down the volume on the sub itself to compensate for the input volume being turned up. Also, make certain all the speakers in the receiver speaker setup are set to "Small". Those auto calibrators like to do some things wrong with the sub setup. BTW, did sound come from the sub when you ran the mcacc?

Just my $0.02, but I don't like auto calibration. It's nice when you have no idea how to set it up, but in the end I prefer shaping the sound myself.

SoGaRaider

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Usic
An FYI, if you do that and it solves the problem, then you need to turn down the volume on the sub itself to compensate for the input volume being turned up. Also, make certain all the speakers in the receiver speaker setup are set to "Small". Those auto calibrators like to do some things wrong with the sub setup. BTW, did sound come from the sub when you ran the mcacc?

Just my $0.02, but I don't like auto calibration. It's nice when you have no idea how to set it up, but in the end I prefer shaping the sound myself.
Sub did play with the test tones but like you said amp set all speakers to large. I had to print manual off cd to reset it correctly. Got sub now! Have to figure how to tune everything manually, thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good to hear. It the sub doesn't always turn on, then turn the volume down on the sub a bit and run the mcacc again, then go back and change all the speakers back to "small". Turning down the volume on the sub will force the receiver to output a higher sub signal, which helps the sub sense an incoming signal, so it turns on.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sub did play with the test tones but like you said amp set all speakers to large. I had to print manual off cd to reset it correctly. Got sub now! Have to figure how to tune everything manually, thanks

MCACC (at least before Onkyo got a hold of it) is the most user-friendly of all the auto-setups. You can set the speaker size and crossover settings before running it.

But first, select the #1 MCACC pre-set. It's just easier to start with #1, MCACC will use the first three presets. Then go into the Speaker Setup Menu and manually set all speakers to Small and the crossover to 80hz (or whatever you choose). Go to the Advanced MCACC start menu, select "b. Auto MCACC" instead of "a. Full MCACC" and then scroll to "Speaker Setting" then hit the Start tab. The speaker sizes and crossover settings will then be saved and not changed by MCACC.

MCACC also lets you re-adjust (or tweak) the equalizer after running it. I suggest copying presets 1, 2, and 3 to presets 4, 5, and 6 before tweaking it/them. That way, if you screw them up you can copy them again and give it another try.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael:

Now that you got your answer and everything's flying right...I hope you stick around and check out the forum and all it has to offer: info on hardware, great deals on where to get software and everything in-between! :D

:welcome:

SoGaRaider

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Usic
Michael:

Now that you got your answer and everything's flying right...I hope you stick around and check out the forum and all it has to offer: info on hardware, great deals on where to get software and everything in-between! :D

:welcome:
Thanks again. Definitely going to stick around lots of things I want to check out on here

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We are really good on all fronts. We've got lots of people with lots of knowledge who love to share.

But keep a tight hold on your wallet...because we just LOVE to help people spend their money (new gear, new release movies, sales on classic catalog releases, etc.)! :laugh:

SoGaRaider

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Usic
We are really good on all fronts. We've got lots of people with lots of knowledge who love to share.

But keep a tight hold on your wallet...because we just LOVE to help people spend their money (new gear, new release movies, sales on classic catalog releases, etc.)! :laugh:
Awesome, holding wallet tight ha-ha

hrrgreg

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
hello all first time on here. i have a yamaha rx-a760 avr i am currently upgrading my system to accommodate atmos. right now i am running my old bose acoutimass 6 III speaker system. but i want to start phasing it out. this weekend best buy had a sale on speakers so i pruchased 2 definitive sm55 for my fronts and a martin logan motion 8 for a center channel per the guy at best buys advice im just wondering if this will be a good match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks