Hello new here and im having issues with was supposedly a great

TanTheMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Tanner
Hello I'm new here and relatively new to home theater and audio in general. I have a supposedly really good center speaker that sounds super muffled and really not great, I suspect it may be the tweeter. I drove over 45 minutrs away to pick up a paradigm cc 370 v.2 for 30 bucks. Of course it didn't work like it should. The sound is very muffled and sounds empty. I would like to be able to repair this and possibly use it for another application besides home theater but I'm not really sure where to start to look for troubleshooting techniques. I'm not sure how to confirm that it's the tweeter and not the whole speaker itself. I've tried playing it pretty loud and I can feel the two large speakers moving but not the tweeter. When I put my ear next to it I can't distinctively say there is sound coming from it.

I have already ruled out the possibility of it being the receiver as I have tried 4 different ones. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Wayne
Play a program source with lots of high frequency energy, such as something with a lot of cymbals. Put your ear to the tweeter. You’ll be able to hear them for sure.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
Sounds like it's fried based on what you've already done. To get positive confirmation remove the tweeter and test it with an ohmmeter if you have one. If it's damaged you'll get no continuity between the terminals. I believe this is the replacement.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I have the same issue with a Paradigm CC-350 v1. It sat in storage for about 10 years and the ferrofluid leaked from the tweeter. It's a hot mess now and I'm probably just going to replace it with a Monitor SE center.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

autoengineer_70

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Is the tweater part of an assembly that’s screwed into the box? I had A blown tweeter on my phase tech 4.5’s and I looked up the manufacturer which is actually MSE audio. Called them and they sent me a replacement for $45. 3 screws and 2 quick disconnects was all it took.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pretty much. It's round, probably about 3-4" diameter with a dome driver in the middle that's 1-1/2" diameter. John dirk posted a link to a driver that's supposed to be it, but they didn't have any in stock. A few screws and some solder and you're good. You just need the exact replacement.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
In my case, I already replaced the tweeter once because it failed after about 8-10 years of use. In that instance, I was able to go back to the authorized Paradigm dealer where I had purchased all of my speakers and they ordered a replacement directly from Paradigm. Unfortunately, that A/V shop closed a few years ago leaving only one Paradigm dealer in the entire state. I checked with Paradigm and they no longer sell the tweeter I need so I’ll be replacing the entire center channel.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell