What's new

Hello, I'm Orville Redenbacher..... (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah I saw this tonight...creepy? Yes. As creepy as digitally enhanced talking babies? IMO no, but close enough!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He did a video where he said something like, "I'm Art Buchwald, and I just died." I heard it on the news. I'm sure it can be found somewhere on the internet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And William Talman, too. He played Hamilton Berger, the prosecutor on the Perry Mason Show.

==============================

I was pleased to see this thread because I saw that Reddenbacher commercial air and was completely disturbed by it. :thumbsdown: To do a bad imitation of a dead guy? They oughta be ashamed of themselves.

Which takes me to another question I have...about why all the advertising geniuses don't dig out old commercials that baby-boomers remember and love and just air them again to generate interest in the product? It's not nice to fool mother nature, Madge using Palmolive liquid "You're soaking in it!, I want my Maypo, Joe Namath in pantyhose, Schmorgashbord, etc. I've always thought it would work really well. The popcorn folks could easily re-do commercials which featured the real Orville and make something good from them. I've seen it done a couple of times with the Life "Get Mikey" commercials. It was re-edited once and CGI'd to sell Snapple!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's probably what makes it so creepy. It's so bad! Not only does it not look like him, but it doesn't even look like a real anyone!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You want to remember your grandpa via a CGI'd actor?! :rolleyes:

Or maybe you just want to do something creepy to sell more popcorn. :thumbsdown:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It is kind of like when a beloved pet dog or cat dies and they have it stuffed.

"Go ahead. You can pet 'Fluffy' the pit bull. He doesn't bite anymore."

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've seen the commercial 3 times now, and I keep hearing David Oreck's voice (the Oreck vacuum cleaner guy) coming out of that mouth. Combine it with the fact that the words don't sync with the mouth movements and it's very disturbing.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the online version.. so maybe I'm not seeing it in full detail.. but that didn't look CGI to me... it looked like a woman dressed as Orvile.

I read an article a few months ago where there's a more accurate way to scan actors' faces and convert them to CGI. It involved flourescent makeup. The end result was amazing. (perhaps someone remembers the article)

Anyway.. if I were in show business... I'd consider getting my likeness scanned... that way I could keep working long after I'm dead. ;)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Good God man, why do you want to work after your dead? Get some rest.

I've seen it once, yesterday, it's very creepy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had to come back after just seeing the darn thing again.

What makes it creepy is that Orville was a real man...who hawked his own product...much like the aforementioned Dave Thomas, Col. Sanders and David Oreck.

And with this bit of technological tomfoolery, the company is really trying to have us think the man is still alive...even though it is fairly well-known that he has been dead quite awhile.

It's not like Orville was a fictional character like Aunt Jemima or Betty Crocker...or a well-known historical figure like Abe Lincoln. He was flesh & blood and this new campaign doesn't really serve him (or his memory) well. As a previous poster pointed out...it's not like the soundtrack and the actor's "lips" really match up all that well.

Out of decency, the spots should be pulled.

I understand they've got a fair amount of people talking about the commercials and the product. But, bottom line, it's a misrepresentation. The actor is not (as he claims to be) Orville Redenbacher.

Just run some of the old spots and let the man himself tell us about how good his product is. That's why the owner/spokesman campaigns work so well anyway. Ask Sy Sperling! :D And James Dyson and David Oreck and Dave Thomas...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> why all the advertising geniuses don't dig out old commercials that baby-boomers remember and love and just air them again to generate interest in the product?

That's a great idea.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Chris. Think about all the great commercials from the past that are still part of the American lexicon: I can't believe I ate the whole thing, you can't fool mother nature, try it you'll like it, etc. And, many of those products are still being sold!

In fact, the article Randy Tennison linked noted that ConAgra actually ran (about a year ago) one of the old Redenbacher commercials and found that sales spiked!

Unfortunately, some executive looked at those results and decided to create this new abomination rather than realize that dusting off the real thing woauld be a much better idea.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They ought to pull out all of the good taste stops and have the CGI Orville on the cloud set from the Philadelphia Cream Cheese ads (which rip off Reese's, by the way).

"Mmm mmm! The popcorn sure tastes good up here! Until you can join me, buy my Orville Redenbacher popcorn! It's the closest thing to Heaven on Earth!"

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Think about all the great commercials from the past that are still part of the American lexicon

I think there would be a big market for a DVD with about 2 hours of classic commercials from the 1960s-1980s ... I'd probably buy it.

Does anyone else feel like a lot of those ads were better or more memorable than most of today's ads, or is that just selective memory?

I was at a Busch brewery tour where at the end they have a dining room with free samples & snacks. You can stay as long as you want, until they close. They have a big TV showing nothing but their TV ads, most of which are pretty creative.

I stopped at their gift shop and asked if they had a DVD of the ads for sale... I'm guessing it was probably a DVD they were playing. They said no, but a lot of people ask for one. Then why not sell it???? Geez, if your customers want to buy a DVD full of your ads, why wouldn't you let them?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But knowing the DVD studios, they'd probably force you to watch an unskipable movie before getting to the commericals. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks